Transatlantic bass transport... advice needed!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by pklima, Apr 18, 2005.

1. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I'm looking at moving from Texas to Poland in a couple of months. I'm pondering what to do with my bass... It's not a great or especially valuable bass but it does suit me well. Selling it may prove difficult because I don't live in a big city and the bass market around here is awful thin.

I have no experience flying with my bass yet but I've read up on the subject. I can foresee lots of problems with having to change planes and likely airlines at least once. At least all my other worldly possessions will fit into two suitcases so the bulk shouldn't be too unmanageable. I don't have a bass trunk, just a padded bag, and I would think one-way trunk rentals from Texas to Poland are not available... I'd sure hate to buy a trunk just for one-time use. I do have time to build a crate, though.

Might shipping the beast using a cargo company be viable? Any other options I should be aware of?

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. And yes, I will try to look a little less like a terrorist.