1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Transatlantic shipping costs?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Anon2962, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Has anyone shipped a bass from the US to the UK? Any idea how much this would cost to do safely?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The cost for me would be the worry that it is going to be smashed to pieces in transit and what would you do - ship it back again...:confused:

I have been to international shipping depots and seen the automated sorting systems, where things go round the ceiling of a warehouse then get dropped down chutes - inevitably some fragile item, is siitting at the bottom of the chute, when a huge refrigerator or similar, comes sliding down at speed, completely flattening what it lands on! :eek:

I would never risk anything as fragile as a DB to this...:meh:

I remember there was a thread round here where a TBer was shipping a DB from the US to Scandinavia and it was damaged in transit...can't remember the outcome, but no doubt painful.

3. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Thanks Bruce,

But if it HAD to be done, in a flight case and all precautions taken... if anyone has done it before.

4. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Well my friend, String Emporium shipped a double bass from Phoenix Arizona to Italy with a cost of $250. It happened 4-5 months ago, safely and promptly.
    My nephew shipped a double bass from NY La Guardia to Athens airport five years ago. He built a crate and secured the instrument
    with styrofoam.The bass arrived safely in two days. Total cost was $600. The airline was Delta.
    I have used many airlines in Europe to ship my newly acquired basses, most of the times Czech Airlines, Malev and KLM. No problem at all,providing that there is a flight case or a proper crate
    and bridge and soundpost are taken out.
    Good luck, since Murphy's law is always a possibility.
    Mike

5. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Great, thanks Mike.

6. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I've airfreighted basses from US to Germany via Lufthansa Cargo in flightcase, plywood crate, and cardboard carton. It wasn't cheap, but they all arrived pristine. With airfreighting I'd worry less about damage than with import duties. Research it and make sure you have all your paper in order when you go to pick it up.

7. I'm thinking of moving to Spain sometime, and was quoted $750 by Upton Bass - I believe it was implied that it would go in one of their awesome crates and be stood upright the entire trip. The $250 deal from String Emporium sounds awesome though...

8. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    It really sounds too good to be true. Could it be ocean freighter cargo?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I wonder if the ash cloud from Iceland will push up the price of air freighting even further...? :eyebrow:

I can see that if you are paying maybe $10k for a bass then 600-750 seems like a sensible investment - but if you are paying maybe 1500 -2000 for a bass then it is more than half of what you are paying for the bass itsefl!! :eek: