Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transciribing songs into another key.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Yay! I transcribed my first.. well first peice that was longer than 8 bars into another key. Of course it was easy, it was just C to G. Took me a half hour to do the 32 bars. It was a little thing in a Mel Bay bass 2 book. :D hehe, so proud of myself! Later!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Here's a quickie for ya-

/Am7---/D9---/Gmaj---/Gmaj---/

Transpose those 4 bars to the Key of Bbmaj...

3. if it's in the key of C then it's:

/Gm7---/C9---/Fmaj---/Fmaj---/ or at least I think.. I'm not too sure. blah.. hehe I need to study. I only have a slight knowledge in this. but I wrote out the whole other thing correctly b/c I played it and it's right =)

4. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    /Amin7b5---/Dminmaj7---/Gmin---/Gmin---/

Is that close? I'm still a newbie with transcribing...

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    first you need to decide what key the example is in. I think we should agree that it is in the key of Bbmaj. If you look, the chords are the ii chord, the V chord and the I chord of Bbmaj.

now that you know the key, give it another shot

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But if you can't apply this to anything else, then it's not really "knowledge" as such and you haven't learnt anything at all! :rolleyes:

7. I'm still learning what to play over chords, if you have a chord that doesn't belong in the key what do you do?

8. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I thought the question was to transcribe it TO the key of Bbmaj FROM Cmaj. I don't see what you mean.

9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I think you gave away the punch line...;)

Here's how my brain works:

/Am7---/D9---/Gmaj---/Gmaj---/

Okay, the first thing we gotta do is figure out the key. I guess we'll assume that Jim isn't trying to trick us, and somehow we managed to get that rare piece of music with four consecutive bars in the same key :rolleyes: ;). Lessee. Amin7 is the first chord...Amin is the relative minor (vi) of Cmaj, which is where ikuitb was going, especially since the Gmaj (V) fits too. But...a D major chord (D9) in the key of C? In Cmaj, D is ii, which is minor. Crap. No joy.

Let's go the other way then. What keys have a Gmaj chord? The G would have to be either the I, IV or V, right? So that's Gmaj, Dmaj or Cmaj. We already eliminated Cmaj. How about Dmaj? We have a D9...okay so far. But Am7? A is the V of Dmaj, and so should be A MAJOR. Double crap.

Let's try Gmaj then. Okay, the Gmaj chords obviously fit. The D9 also fits as the V of Gmaj. And Am7 fits as the ii. Hey, I think we found it. So, the key is Gmaj, and like Pacdude said, the progression is ii, V, I, I (of Gmaj). Now all we have to do is transpose it to Bbmaj:

-/---ii---/--V--/----I----/----I----/
    /Cm7---/F9---/Bbmaj---/Bbmaj---/

Or, you could just remember Jim has one foot firmly planted in the jazz world and ii-V-I is like a religion in that genre...:)

Repeat after me..."FOUR, five, one...FOUR, five, one...:D

10. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Aha! Very interesting. I think I was over thinking for once.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...lump nailed it. It's a basic ii-V7-I progression in Gmaj.
    Sorry about the D9; I hope that didn't throw anybody. D9 is still a Dominant chord(1-3-5-b7-9); for some reason, I always play/prefer a 9th in lieu of a 7th.

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    [homer voice]
    doh!
    [/homer voice]

right, not thinking when I post again....

13. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    When I write music for big band, on a dominant chord I make the horn play the 9th instead of the one, but I leave the 7th there. So you can put some density (tension) in the middle voice, sound a lot more interesthing than a dominant chord with no alteration at all.

14. if you transcibe it with my method it ends up

C F G

a matter of fact all the songs i transcibe end up C F G :D

15. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

You made my night, man.