Transcribable songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Nov 9, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ive been going through my collection of...probly at least 50 maybe a bit more maybe alot more CD's, and i cant seem to find a single song thats suitable to transcribe. so what i want to know is what are some good songs for transcribing? and by this i mean songs that have a relatively simple, somewhat slow bass line that is definitive and audible. Preferably in the classic rock genre, metal is alright too.

EDIT: ANY GENRE!!! if the bass is lead fingerstyle thats the best, audible is good too
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Problem with most hard rock/metal recordings is that the "wall of guitars" most of the times makes the basslines barely understandable. I mean, chord changes are pretty easy to figure out and a general idea of the bassline can be heard, but transcribing a song from this genres note-for-note may be kinda complicated. Anyway, I recommend you "Dazed And Confused" from Led Zeppelin, "Money" by Pink Floyd, "My Sharona" from The Knack and "Another One Bites The Dust" from Queen. These tunes have a lead bass part and that makes things easier. Maybe I'll post others as I'm recalling them. Hope this helps.
  3. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    A lot of Beetles songs have very pronounced basslines (for pop music) under simple harmonies. If you want, I'll dust off some of my beetles albums and recommend a song or two.
  4. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    +1 for the Beatles

And check out the basslines on Yes' "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and Queen's "Under Pressure" and Pink Floyd's "Money."

Good luck.
  5. Most songs from AC/DC, Black Sabbath and Judias Priest have pretty straight forward bass lines
  6. Sabbath is nowhere near as straight-forward as AC/DC or Priest, unless you're playing 'Paranoid'. AC/DC falls under the category of bass being hard to hear under a wall of guitars as well IME.

I'll suggest some Steppenwolf and some Alice Cooper
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    No offense to you or the artists mentioned, but those are too easy to transcribe.
  8. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    gotta start somewhere... he asked for relatively simple...
  9. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I would say that "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" classifies as an easily recognizable bassline. My son even thought it was easy to hear - and he's a drummer.

"Owner of a lonely heart" is simple too.

Anything from Primus is easy as well ( :D ) I am kidding...
  10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
  11. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Led Zeppelin II
    Yes - Fragile
  12. i would go with black sabbath- paranoid.
    im pretty sure that was the frst line i ever worked out:)

try "push it" by garbage, maybe? it sounds a lot harder than it is really. i would recommend most of the first 2 garbage albums actually, although some of it can be pretty tricky to hear. that ones pretty prominent though:)
  13. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    i gotta bump this again. and screw classic rock, any song of any genre with a lead bass is best, although clearly audible is good too.
  14. ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    "I shot the sheriff" by the wailers... that should get you busy for a while. It's a clear bass line, I really like it, It's not to hard, not too simple.

"Come together" by the beatles is also good and easy to hear.

"Jimmy Jazz" by the clash is not that hard either. Or if you want to go a step further, try transcribing "wrong 'em boyo", it's on the same album.