1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Transcribe road block.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by H2ODog, Apr 7, 2009.

1. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I'm trying to learn how to transcribe songs. I have read most of the threads on the subject. I can find the notes on a song and finally put it together to play the bass line. My problem is that when i want to put it down on paper so i can make a chart to have for future reference i can't figure out how to brake it down into measures. Is there any method anyone can share how to best be able to do this? This may be a simple thing but for someone like me that has never done it i find it confusing.

2. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    This really sounds like more of a music notation issue than transcription...

Just count to 4. That should do it.:D

3. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Maybe i was not clear on my question. I don't want to notate music, just want to create a cheat chart so if i go back to a song i have not played in a while i have the chart to guide me until i can recall the song.

So maybe i should have asked how to create a chart? How to break down a song in short hand, for example if i was going to use the Mem number system, how do i know what chords go on the first measure and so on.

Maybe it's a simple as you said...:)

4. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    I'm not sure what you're really asking here. The first chord goes on the first measure. You just write out a bunch of measures as the song goes along and then just plug in the chords when they show up in the appropriate measure.

Alternatively, you can just print out the lyrics and write the chord names above the words as they appear.