Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transcribing Guitar Tab to Bass

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by crystal tokyo, Jul 21, 2004.

1. crystal tokyo

crystal tokyo

Jun 11, 2004
    Is there a simple way I can transcribe Guitar tab into bass tab? Or a program that I can import tabs into, and lower it in octaves and stuff?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    They're the same minus two strings. Use your brain and you can do it in no time.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    For most songs, the guitar part is likely to be different to the bass part and simply doesn't contain the information you need to extract the bassline. I would imagine that tabs where somebody has written out the bassline for a six stringed instrument tuned EADGBE are going to be fairly rare!

Wulf

4. GuitarPro could do the trick.

Free trial is at http://www.guitar-pro.com/eng/Downloads.php

Tabs can be found at www.mysongbook.com

To get from guitar to bass, switch the number of strings to 4/5, then go to the tools menu, and choose transpose. -12 semitones. Do that once or twice and you should have a guitar part on bass.

I hope I didn't confuse you!

Evan :bassist:

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    But it will still be the guitar part, not the bass groove. Without applying intelligence to adjusting the part, it's likely that there will be unplayable stretches and muddy sounding sections.

I guess it depends a little on the style of music but, in most cases, there's no substitute for putting your brain to work!

Wulf