Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

transcribing troubles

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Nov 15, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Well, i just transcribed come together by the beatles, and although i was right about what note the line starts and ends on, i got the rythym off, partly because i couldnt hear it. Did i still help my ear by doing this? Im finding transcribing to be really difficult, and ive read the post on how to go about doing it, but its still tricky. How do i know what key its in? what about chord changes? its very hard. :help:

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Congrats on transcribing! Don't ever stop!!! This is some of the best training you can do not only as a bassist, but as a musician. Trust me. This stuff can be hard, but it will get easier.

What I like to do is be able to sing something in my head, then try my best to transfer it to my voice (another instrument)....once you can HEAR it and SING it, transfer it to your bass or what ever instrument you are playing.

Don't ever give up!

:D

BTW, if you are having problems HEARING it because you can't HEAR it (due to the recording or other instruments getting in the way)....solve the puzzle. If it's a bass line, maybe it's in another part of the tune....if it's a solo - really listen deeeeeeeeeep and don't be afriad to use HEADPHONES when transcribing - this can help as well.

Good Luck!
    NJL

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    hmmm, i suppose what i really need is a program that lets me isolate the bass in a song without giving me the tab or sheet music. anyone know of any? It would only be temporary until my ear got good enough to not need it

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Use a pair of headphones first, works for me....didn't ever get around to using money to buy something to isolate any parts. Your ear will get even better w/out it. :)