Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transcription Collective

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by ee-san, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Greetings,

I'm new to posting here but I've been reading the forums for a long time. I used to post some years ago on The Bottom Line until email overload set in.

But now...I've been doing occasional transcriptions of bass, sax, and guitar solos. My first transcription was a Dave Holland solo on Beautiful Love from a Hank Jones trio recording called The Oracle (not the easiest to start with). My most recent was a transcription of a Lee Konitz tune called Mimiche which is really an extended solo on Darn That Dream.

My proposal is to work together with other bassists on solo transcriptions--just sharing work via the forum or email to see if we are getting it right, or to analyze what's happening in the solo. Previously, I have emailed TIF files of musical notation that can be read and printed very cleanly. I will post a sample if anyone would care to see one.

Sound off if you are interested.

About me: I play double bass about 99% of the time but started in high school on a Fender bass. I play straightahead jazz but have also worked in the past with a good all-acoustic delta blues band, some electric blues and fusion bands, and a rockabilly band (until I was fired for not being loud enough).

-Roger

2. Wow. Was this such a bad idea that no one would reply or is everyone too busy to transcribe? Here is the first 16 bars of Paul Chambers' solo on The Theme from the CD entitled Miles (Original Jazz Classics/Prestige). Many jazz listeners will have this recording so how about taking a look and listen? I am not claiming to be 100% correct. That's the point of working in something together to find out what others hear.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    YEE-HAH, SON;
    This is a great idea, but yeah, I'm really pretty busy with the daily business of bass playing and running a household. Transcription is a very worthy pursuit, and I wish I had time to do it. I think those days are gone for me.

It won't keep me from checking out other folks' transcriptions, though;)

4. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I'd be into being part of a Transcription collective, but I am much more into transcriptions of bass parts/walking bass lines than solos

I've got a transcription to Jimmy Blanton's bass part in Take the A Train that I can share

5. On the subject of transcriptions, are there any sources (books, etc) available for transcribed bass parts from some of the great upright jazz bassists? A lot of the bass lines are so buried in the mix and the lines go by so quickly that it can be real torture to pick up some of the lines. I'd like to see what the masters are doing and have the chord changes to go with it so I can analyze their moves.

6. MARKED-UP-AND-JONESIN, THE-SPCEFIC, AND PUPPY-LOVE,

Thanks for your interest and thanks to the rest of the secret downloaders. Here is the rest of the PC solo on the Theme. How about some comments? And Commandant General, the point is to dig in and hear the stuff as you transcribe rather than just buying a book.

AJ PUPPY LOVE, I'll get into a comping transcription if you suggest one. There's a lot to learn from them too.

JONESIN, I appreciate the time limitations. How about starting with 8 bars just for the heck of it?

-Roger

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's the problem; I'm working in about eight bars right now;)

8. Thanks, Davegr8house for the link.
    If it is what I think it is, this book will answer a lot of questions.

-fellow Franklin bassist

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Has Ed Fuqua moved to Chesapeake - I'm confused? ;)

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Naah, EE-SAN's just channelling Ed. Bet he can levitate, too.

11. pericles

pericles

Sep 8, 2003
    well, i have transcribed almost all pc's bassline on c jam blues from"groovy" (among other things) but the only way i can put it down on my coputer is by drawing the whole thing on "paint".......I gave up after 3 choruses.Sorry for the quality i guess you'll have to write it down neatly before you try playing it. Anyway here's the thing.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Where? :confused:

13. pericles

pericles

Sep 8, 2003
    wow,the .bmp file is 1.25mb so i cant upload it. do u know if there's some other way i could post the transcription?

14. Anyone can levitate. From what I've read, I'd prefer to play like Fuqua more than levitation. Some of the people he has accompanied in New York are great players.

So we have few takers on the transcription idea? How 'bout a little Mraz? Mraz anyone? Going once...twice....

-Roger

15. Bruce Lindfield

But put them together and you would have a great act!! Especially in clubs with small stages!! ;)

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It might be worth posting some details about what kind of computer you've got and what operating system. A .bmp file isn't ideal - something like .gif would be a lot smaller (and more web friendly).

And, of course, there's the issue of the amount of time it must have taken to 'paint' the transcription! Maybe you should look into something like TAB :)D) or ABC notation - much more internet friendly and less of a pain to produce.

:bag:

Wulf