Transcription Target

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Headtripus, Sep 30, 2003.

1. 9: 4/4 P b b b % P p p b b

I recently posted this same message in General Instruction and got no response, I figure you'd definatly know enough to help out, so here I am:

I've been playing for about 14 months, and all the albums I've tried to transcribe were either way too easy (rock music) or way too hard (Jaco, Marcus Miller, etc). Can you recommend an intermediate-level album I could transcribe that would be challenging yet within my grasp? Thanks.

By the way, ages ago you referred me to Lucas Pickford when I needed a teacher. That's been working out great, thanks alot for that.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    To startI think you must transcribe music that you enjoy. Secondly, don't limit yourself to just bass players - transcribing is transcribing. Thirdly try some of the progressive rock stuff or try taking one of those simple rock tunes and transcribing ALL the instruments (including drums). Once you have transcribed a piece than analyze it to see the relationship among the parts.

I know this does not directly answer your question, but it is hard to give exact recomendations w/o hearing you play