Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transcriptions forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Slot, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Hi...

I know there is a tabs forum. But i think it would be great to also have a transcriptions forum, where members can compare their own standard notation transcriptions with transcriptions of others. Basically the same concept of tabs, but for standard notation.

I for one love transcribing, and i reckon it would be fun helping out newbs to bass with transcriptions of songs they want to learn. It would also help steer players away from the large emphasis on "tab"(not that there is anything wrong with tab)

dunno just a thought.

cheers

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This has been suggested before and Paul explained that it was not possible due to copyright issues !

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55514

Tab is OK as it is so inaccurate that nobody could hope to work up a performance just from that, so it doesn't get caught in copyright laws, but a decent transcription would!

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You could probably post short illustrative licks without infringing copyright - just like I could quote a line from a book or a movie. However, since building a library of transcriptions would definitely contravene copyright, it's probably best to keep the snippets interspersed in other forums like General Instruction or even the Tab forum (when someone's asking for a lick that you've transcribed but don't want spend time converting to tab).

Wulf

4. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    ahh ....just read them. what a bummer.

ahh well *sigh*