1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Transfering plans to MDF

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Linas, May 12, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I have purchased the Moll bass plans from MIMF and i have redrawn the body to my liking. Now how do you guys go about taking the paper plans and putting them on MDF. Also, once the plans are transfered, should i just cut the MDF template with a band saw? Sorry if this sounds stupid, just dont want to mess anything up.

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Not stupid at all. I take the long way around: I cut out the design, pin it to the MDF, and use a shading technique on the edges that leaves something like a silhouette, and then go over it again to define the edges, which also gives me a chance to make some final adjustments. Again, this is probably the long way around.

I use a band saw (sometimes a jigsaw, though it can get a little dicey) to cut it out, which usually leaves a little extra material on some of the curves that I take off with a file or something of the like. It's slower, but a little more exacting, and I like to make it as good as possible as I intend to re-use the template on multiple basses.

3. I cut my paper plans, then rubber tack them to MDF to trace the shape. Then I cut with the bandsaw and smooth the edges with files and sand paper.

I've done a few straight onto 12mm MDF, but I've started using a different method using master and working templates. Trace onto 3mm MDF, which is the master template, then transfer that onto a 12mm MDF board and route the edge using a pattern bit, which will be used as the working template. This was discussed in a recent thread.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I take the easy way out, I have the design sized to spec at a copy center and have it sof laminated. I then tape the laminate to the birch I use for templates...don't ask, I just ended up with a lot of extra birch scrap from a woodworker friend of mine.....I trace the design out, cut it out on the bandsaw, and finish it up on my spindle sander. That's just how I do it.