1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Transferring Commercial Instructional VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SBassman, Sep 10, 2008.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Is it possible to get a commercial instructional VHS transferred to DVD?

It's a legitimate copy request. I want to buy an instructional video that is only available on VHS.

If I buy the VHS, can I then get it transferred to DVD from a conversion service? Or will these services not have the means to deal with any copy protection?

Again, this is legit. I'm not trying to take anything. I'm just trying to get a DVD version of something I will purchase. Anyone know if this can be done?

2. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    You can buy the devices on the internet or from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc. to do this at home. Gimme a sec, I'll get a link....

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/07/11650/

This is just one example, there are tons of them on the internet. Just Google VHS to DVD converter.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Thanks.

But - it's not clear that it can transfer a Commercial VHS.
    And, more important to me :) - that's one whopping price.

4. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    Not sure on the commercial issue so I will leave that to another who does. Yes, most of them aren't cheap as they know they have you where they want you. Buy it or buy new DVD's. Some out there are cheaper than this one, I just used this one as an example.

5. PM sent.

Also, if you have a fast PC, a VHS player, a video camera with inputs, and some basic video software you can do it that way.

I did it with Shannon's video before it came out on DVD. Yes, I bought a legit DVD copy when it came out.

6. You might want to check with the maker of the tape to see if a DVD version exists or is in the works. Some VHS tapes have copy protection which might make transferring difficult if not impossible.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Have tried to find info on a DVD. It doesn't exist.

The only way anyone is going to use Roscoe Beck's Blues Foundations material on a DVD is - to get it converted from VHS.

8. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    Get a VCR. Plug it into one of those boxes that removes the MacroVision protection from tapes. (Go to Radio Shack or Best Buy and tell them what you're doing, they'll know what box to get you.) Plug that into a DVD recorder. Done.

I just did this for a commercial VHS tape I own that is not out and will never be out on DVD.

Even if you don't have any of the equipment as stated above, it'll cost you about $100 for the VCR, box and DVD recorder.

9. edgewise

edgewise

Feb 23, 2007
    I had a videotape that I converted to digital format by using a vcr and my Tivo.

If you have a digital video recorder, you may be able to feed the output of your vcr to the input of your dvr and simply record the playing videotape as if it was any old tv channel.

It took me some time to noodle out the best way to do it, but if you understand how to hook up a dvr and vcr, you should be able to figure it out.

I then was able to pull the recorded program off the Tivo to my PC.

It wasn't as easy as paying someone to convert a video tape, but it cost nothing.