1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Transformation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Festus, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Festus

Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    I have been stuck in a rut recently and have realised that I need to change the set up on my bass to enable me to tap as if it were a Chapman Stick. I have no money to buy a stick and so I thought I would ask the good folk out there what I can do to my 4 string MM Stingray to make it more 'tappable'. I know that I want to keep my 100 80 60 40 gauge strings but get a new set and tune them BEAD.

Any tips and ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Festus

2. I think u can easily get ur neck perfectly straight, and get the strings as low as possible, till the open strings will slightly buzz
    Hope that helps.

3. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    You need low action. I personally find that light gauge strings help.

4. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Once you have it setup, try out an elastic hair scrunchy between the nut and first fret to keep open-string buzzing to a minimum. Norm Stockton uses them on his MTD basses, but it's basically doing the same thing as the velcro fret damper on the Stick. Might need to try a few different ones to find one that is just the right firmness and doesn't choke notes too much.

Cheers,

EG