Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transformer mA question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jun 14, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I just got an old ART Levelar compressor off of ebay and it is a fine piece of equipment. However, the transformer included with it was really old/brittle and broke in half when I pulled it out of the wall socked, so now I need a new one.

The specs on it are 9Vac/800 miliAmps. I am wondering how important the mA rating is- I have a few transformers around the house but they are 300mA. Anyone know how this stuff works?

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    You should look at the current requirement of your pedal. The transformer imposes only the voltage, not the current. It's the pedal that imposes the current.

You should have a transformer that can supply at least the needed current of the pedal.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bass Tyra is right, as long as the power adapter/transformer is capable of the same voltage with at least the same number of mA, you're gonna be okay.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Thanks for the help, I think my question is answered.

MK

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    To be more precise : a tramsformer is a voltage supply. So first, look for the voltag you need, here you need a 9v transformer.

Then, the current will depend on the load, here the pedal. The load will impose the current. The current value indicated on transformer are max value. But if the load just "need" 10mA for example, a 9v 800mA won't impose 800mA. It will impose 9v and the load will impose the 10mA.

It all depends on the U=R.I relation. ;)
    R is the load.