1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Transformer Smell in SS Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicmansf, Jul 31, 2007.

1. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Anyone ever got a whiff of that "electronics being fried"/transformer smell out of a SS Ampeg amp? Its only in the first 5 seconds of start up though. I think it's always been doing it, but because I had my face so close to the amp when I was diagnosing my Demeter issues, its been the first time I've noticed it. Plus, its been about 4 years since it had been out of its rack...it runs and sounds fine, but I believe its just the initial push of air from the fan turning in the back.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, it does have a power transformer. Might be that. Could just be the chemicals in the glues and such may still send off a whiff when the cooling fans start up.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    My first thought is the fan motor itself.

4. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    as long as the stink stops
    there is no smoke
    and the amp works

it is considered to be operating in the normal mode
    but call ampeg and ask the tech there to confirm this

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Some of the transformers have a sort of strong "varnish" smell. if you never get them hot it may last quite a while. (They DO have "varnish" on them, which accounts for it)

Makes sense that it would show up at first, as it has had the chance to give off the smell into a "closed" space for a while, then you ventilate it.

A "burned PC board" smell is different, I'm talking about a "varnishy" smell.

6. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the responses guys, I figured thats what it'd be. But you can never be too sure in the world off bass...haha, learned that one early on ;)

It is more of a varnish-y smell more that I think about, cooked electronics have that smoked smell to them