1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TRANSFORMERS, Pedals In Dis Guy's...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Feral Feline, Dec 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ... List of ...

TRANSFORMER-BASED EFFECTS

Appleton/Kallas TransBoost :: TY-250P Triad Magnetics

Broughton Power Stage:: ?

Bronx Cheer :: 42TM018

Jawari :: 42TM018 OR 42TL218

Tycobrahe Octavia : 42TU011, 42TM022, LT44, ETC

Maestro Brassmaster :: 42TM018

EQD BitCommander :: TM011-R

Wyllie Moonrock :: 42TM012

Hudson Broadcast :: TY-141P

Bogner
    Harlow - Boost with bloom control : ?
    Oxford - Flexdrive : ?
    Wessex - Overdrive : ?
    Burnley - Distortion : ?​

Voodoo Lab : Proctavia (Tychobrahe Octavia derivative) : ?

^ "?" = What transformer is used?

Fill in the gaps and,
    WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE ?

[EDITed to ADD:

Bazz Fuss Deluxe, home wrecker: Bazz Fuss fun :: 42TM018

John Hollis Titan Boost/Octave (LT44, Eagle part No P631M / Maplin part No HK82D)

Iron Ether Oxide (same Transformer as Brassmaster)

Cave Passive Super Grunt

CCP Buffer/Ball Buster

Diamond J-Drive MkIII

Api Tranzformer LX

Supro Drive

Various Cali76 models : Lundahl and iron

JHS colorbox

DBA Octave clang

]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    dinoadventures and Driven Crane like this.
  2. vincent69

vincent69 Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    The Bass Fuss Deluxe from home wrecker.

Bazz Fuss fun

Transfo is a 42TM018

3. Excellent 42TM018 addition @vincent69!

John Hollis has some PCB layouts of his circuits on GEO-FX such as his Titan Boost/Octave (LT44, Eagle part No P631M / Maplin part No HK82D)

vincent69 likes this.
  4. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Cave Passive Super Grunt
    Buffer/Ball Buster

5. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Doesn't the Oxide have a small one in there?

6. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Yes, it does...

7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    It's the same type as in the Brassmaster, since the fuzz "core" in the Oxide was based on the Brassmaster.

8. NSHu, JWR, Taylor – Muchas Grassyaasterisks, Thenkyooberrymushies!

9. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Diamond J-Drive has an output transformer.

diamond-pedal-j-drive-mk3-1024x1024.

EDIT: Trans is TY-142P

-Frank

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    blindrabbit likes this.
  10. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    This has a transformer:

api_tranzformerlx-.

-Frank

DirtyDuke likes this.
  11. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I would love to understand more about transformers in general, lots of bold statements out there and I don't really know what to believe... If any of the tech gurus are willing to share their perspective it would really be appreciated...
    - Do you need a big, heavy transformer to get deep bass response? Examples that are given include Reddi, LA2A, other classic studio gear. On the flip side, my DI with small / light Jensen transformer is not lacking for lows. So, is there a quantifiable benefit of size / mass in transformers?
    - What are some of the options for materials and construction, and how do they affect the sound? My Cali 76-tx has a small / light iron core tfrm, sounds great. What would change if the material were different?
    - Does anyone know what the API Tranzformer pedal has for a transformer - is it a custom API design? Given that some folks are spending well over $500 on just a direct box like Reddi, I wonder how the API compares if it is used only as a direct box and ignoring the EQ and Comp.
    - Some very hi-fi manufacturers, for example Grace, claim better audio performance by going transformerless. Any thoughts on this?

12. boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Transformers have natural properties that make them ideal for some purposes, like isolation, common mode noise rejection (think DI), passive step-up and step-down capabilities and load matching for speakers etc.

Transformers also have B-H distortion and can possibly have saturation distortion when driven too hard. The distortions that transformers have seem to be musical/pleasing by nature and it is a reason that they are loved. But for pure hi-fi, they would be seen as an unwanted distortion if they were not needed.

Audio transformers have been around a very long time and there is tons of info to be found in the google.:thumbsup:

-Frank

13. Thanks @boomertech!

@cavemanbass
    I'd quite like to try Grace's teensy DI, but better audio performance sans transformer? No idea. Yet... if that were truly the case then everybody making stuff with transformers would've ditched the extra expense already.

I imagine like anything else, quality design plays a more important role than size/mass/materials; however having said that, all those factors still come in to play. You can't get firehose-volumes of H2O through a garden-hose in the same amount of time.
    For example, Sonic Farm sells transformers that come in two flavours:
    2xNi/Fe
    2xFe

OT_Pair_shop.

They're sold in pairs so you can order two of one kind or get one of each. For $200 though, I don't see one of these going into any of my future pedal builds.

I'd love for Hammond to come out with an update to its little 125A, which as I understand it is good down to 100kHz — naturally the update should go lower than that! Hammond! Are you listening Hammond!?

Certainly you've brought up some good questions, ones I will have to explore in further detail as I scope out the Triad Magnetics lil guy, the Cinemags, the Lundahls, the etceteras...

14. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    thanks @Feral Feline and @boomertech

btw, the Grace pedals do have output transformers, I assume it's for isolation in sketchy live performance environments. Whereas their high end studio gear is transformerless.

15. Randomly, and not meaning to derail the thread but...
    I way prefer the sound of the Oxide to the B:assmaster I previously owned.
    I consider it a modern day classic .
    Right, sorry.. as you were gentlemen

16. That's no derail, ukedealer, that's spot on topic!

In fact, exactly the sort of talk and comparison I was hoping for when I started the thread.

ukedealer likes this.
  17. Thanks dude
    Not sure if it was my bass (jazz) but the b:assmaster sounded 'honky' to me, actually started to annoy me when I was octave/fuzz/filtering
    I jumped on the Oxide as soon as it came out (IIRC my first one was #9)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the Supro Drive has a tranny in it.

19. Thanks JohnK!

Added...

PS: What 'bout your own pedals?

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    BTW, many of the larger Cali76 comps have transfomers in them. the JHS colorbox also has one.
    the only builds that i've done with an x-former are the transboost, the broadcast, the tycobrahe octavia (42TM022) , the DBA Octave clang, the buffer buster, the EQD bit commander, & the Maestro Brassmaster.