Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transforming an OLP MM2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by quinos, Jun 24, 2005.

1. quinos

quinos Guest

Jun 24, 2005
    Spain
    Hello to everyone in this forum!!
    I'm a new and spanish user.I want to change the Pick up of my OLP MM2 bass, and probably to install a preamp, searching the real MM sound, but I haven't got no idea about how to do this, and about whose are the best pickups and preamps. :rollno:
    Can somebody help me?? :crying:

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You have a PM explaining the process and where to look for additional help. ;) Also, welcome to Talkbass!!! :hyper:

3. redwood

redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I would (and am for that matter) plan on swapping out the electronics before I worry about the pickup. That should make a much more signifigant difference. The OLP I have is a decent bass (especially for the price) but the electronics are terrible.
    Good luck.

4. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Hey jpj, i've been thinking of doing the same to mine. Can you copy me on the message also? Thanks:)

5. JPJ, me too please. I have a OLP MM3 - the five string version.

I'm going into the studio this weekend with it along with my Ken Smith and we'll see how it fairs. It's a original alt rock band and I think the OLP will provide a "in your face" hard rock sound,... much more aggressive then the Ken Smith. It has a fresh set of stings from a set up 2 weeks ago and I've already dialed in a tone using my BOSS ME-50B with the HI-BAND DRIVE set to just a mild grind,... we'll see how it works.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Can you just post the info here, because I would also like it and I guess a LOT of people are interested.

-Eric.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hi guys,

I sent you all PMs, but for those who are interested, I'll repeat the theme of my message to Quinos. I get a lot of calls and e-mails from MIM, MIJ, and OLP owners, as well as a host of other foreign-made entry-level brands, who are interested in improving the performance of their basses. Oftentimes, the instruments in question are of reasonable quality, but the owners just aren't entirely happy with the tone or output of the bass. The level of quality that we see in budget instruments today is WAY beyond where things were 20 years ago....the differences are almost mindblowing. Nevertheless, the cost of a budget/entry-level bass has to be kept down somehow, and it seems like pickups and electronics get the cut more often than not.

I've received a ton of extremely positive feedback from players who have upgraded the pickups in their MM-style basses (not to mention J and P basses as well) and they've been thrilled with the results. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to mention "brand names", but a lot of people have been happy the results they've experienced. Which brand you choose and which type of pickup you upgrade with can be a very personal thing, and luckily there are a lot of resources that will help you determine which is right for you....including the multitude of threads right here in the PICKUPS forum dealing with these issues. Hope that helps fill in the blanks from my post above, and good luck with your upgrading projects! :)

8. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    On a similar subject, i want to upgrade my OLP MM2 as well, but i'm a little short on cashola! I recall someone saying in a thread that simply rewiring the pickup will make the bass a lot better, is this true? Also if i was to upgrade the pickup OR the preamp, which would be the best one to do first? And on the topic of preamps, are there any cheaper than the Seymour Duncan?

Basically i want to upgrade this bass as cheaply as i can, providing that it will actually improve the tone! Are there any onther inexpensive mods that are worth doing to improve the bass? The reason i dont want to go all out is because i plan on getting a second bass down the track and use the OLP as an alternate tuning bass or a backup.

Also JPJ, feel free to PM me some info too! :cool:

9. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    bump maybe?!

10. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    As I undersatnd it, the two coils of the pickups each have their own volume control. I'd bet dollars/doughnuts that they are wired in parallel. If you were to wire them in series, you'd lose the separate volume control of each, but you'd pick up quite a bit of output, and the tone would change pretty dramatically. You CAN do this and keep the separate control, if you find the thread on the series mod for a J bass. If it were me, I'd prolly just wire the pickup to a switch that gave me series/single/parallel, and use one volume pot.

11. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Could you please post or PM me a wiring schematic on how i would do that?

12. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    late bump!