1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Transition - 4 str to 5 str

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jumping_Bomb_Angel, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Hi guys:

Im about to get me a 5 string Warwick Corvette...im worried that ill find the transition difficult from 4-5 string, with the new B string, closer string spacings and all.

Im interested in what techniques or advice you guys may have used to help the transition.

All advice gratefully recieved.

2. When I made the switch, before my 5 str arrived (I got it mail order), I mapped out on paper the 5 scale positions for major (ionian), minor (dorian) and dom 7 (myxolidian) along with the corresponding arppegios and pentatonic scales. This helped fix things in my brain.

When the bass arrived I made the decision to switch cold turkey. I put my 4 str away and took my 5 to rehearsal the same day it arrived. I made some mistakes that night but no train wrecks. I sold my 4 str a couple weeks later. The switch was complete.

BTW, I have a 4 str now that I play every once in a while but for the most part it's been over 3 years of 5 str bliss.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I just sat down and played. With only about an hour of practice, I was good to go. But then, my 5 has standard string spacing, which might have made it somewhat easier for me.