Transition - 4 str to 5 str

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jumping_Bomb_Angel, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Hi guys:

Im about to get me a 5 string Warwick worried that ill find the transition difficult from 4-5 string, with the new B string, closer string spacings and all.

Im interested in what techniques or advice you guys may have used to help the transition.

All advice gratefully recieved.
  2. When I made the switch, before my 5 str arrived (I got it mail order), I mapped out on paper the 5 scale positions for major (ionian), minor (dorian) and dom 7 (myxolidian) along with the corresponding arppegios and pentatonic scales. This helped fix things in my brain.

When the bass arrived I made the decision to switch cold turkey. I put my 4 str away and took my 5 to rehearsal the same day it arrived. I made some mistakes that night but no train wrecks. I sold my 4 str a couple weeks later. The switch was complete.

BTW, I have a 4 str now that I play every once in a while but for the most part it's been over 3 years of 5 str bliss.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I just sat down and played. With only about an hour of practice, I was good to go. But then, my 5 has standard string spacing, which might have made it somewhat easier for me.