transition from electric

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by evangelion, Nov 2, 2000.

1. evangelion

Nov 2, 2000
    I know this isn't exactly the right place for the post but I need some info fast. I have been playing electric bass for almost to years and consider myself to be an advanced player. I have been asked to play upright bass in a public performace and have been given only a week in which to learn 16 song (which according to the guy in charge are fairly simple). Now my question is wether it will be possible for me to make the transition from electric to upright in only a week? Thanks alot for you time and any advice you offer.
  2. Ed, I think he meant "advancing," as in progressing along the learning curve.
  3. I don't want to tell ED what he thinks. So I'll agree I don't think you can learn to play this instrument in a week. It is easy to go from double bass to bass guitar so you might do this in a week. But the double bass will take much longer. You might learn to play some of the easy Bluegrass tunes in a week, but watch out for blisters. Oh I feel so left out I have played for fifty years and am still not a master.
  4. No.
  5. AuroraStar

Apr 15, 2000
    I'm going through the same problem..except I'm doing this for college and a Julliard/Lincoln Center thing..and I'm only slightly over 5 feet..I'm so scared..waa
  6. kayswingmaster

Nov 6, 2000
    Like Bassdude for blisters...I had to do that same thing in a rockabilly could probably do it..just for the sake of doing it ...just dont expect to be real fancy...but be ready to bust out the tape if youre not using a bow....good luck!
  7. gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    Aurora! Don't let height enter into it! Are you playing
    3/4 or full? I'm 5'3", playing 3/4 - I find the most difficult aspect is playing the bass beyond the octave point...cursed with small hands.

[Edited by gustat on 11-08-2000 at 08:58 AM]
  8. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

To make it short and sweet, forget it.

Since your profile isn't filled out, I don't know whether you even own an upright. As someone else pointed out, you may could learn a couple of songs in that period of time but they would really have to be super simple songs. Even then, it would be nearly impossible.

You have found yourself in an interesting position. If you are already proficient on electric, why would any one insist that you play urb? The only thing that can be done on urb that can't be done on b.g. is the bowing thing. If you are expected to learn to bow the bass in that time frame, someone is either totally ignorant or intentionally placing you in what will be an embarresing position.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, Exactly who is making such a demand on you? What kind of music?

I've been playing for a lot of years and I would have to burn the midnight oil just to learn 16 songs and have them polished to performance standards in only one week.