Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transition from Pick to Fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mikey96, May 30, 2001.

1. Hey everyone, I am about to make the transition to playing fingerstyle. What I would like to know is how long practicing everyday will it take me to become comfortable as a finger player as opposed to playing with my pick which I have done for a whole year. And dont worry pick players I am not totally abandoning the style just looking for versatility. Thanks.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    practice for exactly forty seven minutes evryday, no more, no less.:D

3. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I played with a pick for like 4 or 5 years then I switched to finger style .. been playing that way for about 5 years now. I still have trouble doing some stuff with my fingers that I could do easily with a pick. I used to practise about an hour or 2 a day but lately I've been doing about 4 hours a day. That's the nice thing about working at night :D

4. I'm having problem doing the opposite... I'm okay at it, but I'm too slow whenever I'm going from one string to another. and I have to look at my picking hand, or I end up hitting the wrong string... everytime I play with a pick, I end up throwing it away after five minutes and playing with my fingers...