Transition from Pick to Fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mikey96, May 30, 2001.

1. Hey everyone, I am about to make the transition to playing fingerstyle. What I would like to know is how long practicing everyday will it take me to become comfortable as a finger player as opposed to playing with my pick which I have done for a whole year. And dont worry pick players I am not totally abandoning the style just looking for versatility. Thanks.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    practice for exactly forty seven minutes evryday, no more, no less.:D
  3. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I played with a pick for like 4 or 5 years then I switched to finger style .. been playing that way for about 5 years now. I still have trouble doing some stuff with my fingers that I could do easily with a pick. I used to practise about an hour or 2 a day but lately I've been doing about 4 hours a day. That's the nice thing about working at night :D
  4. I'm having problem doing the opposite... I'm okay at it, but I'm too slow whenever I'm going from one string to another. and I have to look at my picking hand, or I end up hitting the wrong string... everytime I play with a pick, I end up throwing it away after five minutes and playing with my fingers...