1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Transition to Gut

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by AMUNC, Jul 28, 2012.

1. AMUNC

AMUNC

Jan 22, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    So I have a set of Eudoxa's coming in soon, but I also have an audition for the top youth orchestra in the area in about 3 weeks, in which I'm shooting for the first chair. Would the transition to wound guts from steel strings (Passiones) be To big of a jump to be ready for the audition?
    Thanks,
    Adam

2. I'd hold off. While I haven't used Eudoxas my experiences with other gut strings leads me to believe that they would only begin to settle in during the first month, after which you will have to come to grips with them.

3. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    You need to be comfortable in your audition. Changing your strings a few weeks before isn't a bright idea. Shine with your playing and you will get the gig. Don't add unnecessary difficulties at this stage in the game.

4. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    I'd recommend holding off too- but simply because you shouldn't introduce a wild card into the deck this close to your important audition.

That said- I am quite familiar with Eudoxa's.

First- they will stretch- it will take them a while to settle in, and even after they do, they will never be as pitch stable as a steel or synthetic string. General climate changes, such as temperature and humidity will affect them profoundly. :rollno:

Second- they will sound absolutely GORGEOUS!!! :hyper:

Pizz they will have great sustain and a nice, sonorous sound- plenty of volume and a varied palate of sound from which to draw.

Arco-simply AMAZING!!! Eudoxa is prolly my favorite arco string! I haven't "played them all", but I have played a lot of the "go to" arco strings- for me, on my bass, and for what I expect from a string, they are (perhaps) peerless.
    I also found them to be really easy to play- quick, clean start with a beautiful, complex sound!

Word of warning- there have been many reports of quality issues encountered with both Eudoxa and Oliv- I am one of those who have experienced these problems- that is why I no longer use either of these strings. :bawl:
    There are plenty of posts regarding these problems, so I'll leave the research to you.

Ultimately, it will be up to you to try these strings and decide if they are "for you". No one can tell you if they will work for you, on your bass, but please do wait until after your audition to try them!!!

Best wishes!

Joe

5. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I agree with the advice you're getting, Eudoxas are great, but you should wait for some lower-pressure time to get used to them.