Transitioning From Guitar To bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zbar, Dec 11, 2003.

1. zbar

Dec 11, 2003
    I'm lookin to make the move to bass from guitar. I really want a bass that's pretty cheap (no more than $400) and can survive college life and suffice for moderate gigging.

I need a decent and fairly durable bass, any suggestions?
  2. I know you here it everywhere, but again they are right. I'd go with essex or brice. read the essex megathread for some suggestions. I have a essex jazz bass copy and it is pretty cool, it is a college student budget bass too. heck for under four hundred, you can get three jazz basses or a jazz and a p-bass and probably fit one of your liking!! or at least spend the extra money that you saved on a really cool amp or something.
    I can't really tell you how durable the bass is, i've never thrown mine around or anything like that. maybe a more experienced tb'er can tell you about the construction of an essex and how durable they are.
    good luck,
  3. mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    GPX (i think, i'll have to check on that name) makes some nice knockoff guitars... my friends Les Paul copy is actually illegal in US (in the music world) because its sooo close to the real thing... so check them out... And i play a Fender Squier Limited Edition bass, and i bought it on sale at my music store for $110.00... serves
    me well.....look on ebay too...

4. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    One of my bass students just bought an SX / Douglass jazz bass from Rondo Music ( They're selling them for $149, I believe.

It is the natural finish swamp ash model with the maple fingerboard with white block inlays.

He brought it to his lesson last night, and I gotta say, it was a VERY nice bass for the price. My only complaint about it is that the routing job for the pickups is not the best I've seen, but it is a very nice piece of swamp ash, and it sounded and felt very fender-ish.

Probably very hard to beat it in that price range.

5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Pick up a cheapo Steinberger off of the for $300 or thereabouts. They're sturdy and save closet space.
  6. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    I went from the guitar to a bass about a year ago. Never looked back,
    Fender MIM Jazz used 200 dollars. Lots of deals on the MIM Fender's and they work good IMHO.

Good luck with your endeavor.