Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transitioning from Guitar to Bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by acousticjazz, May 9, 2002.

1. acousticjazz

acousticjazz

May 9, 2002
    I'm a guitar instructor interested in learning the upright bass. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how difficult a endevour this would be.

2. go for it man. the double bass rules, but if you dont have any past training on DB id go grab some lessons to study up on basic technique so you dont form bad habits. though im sure you will pick it up fairly quickly cause youre a guitar player.

good luck man:cool:

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    1. Grow a thick skin. Ignore all the disparaging comments about guitarists... don't let the bassheads put you off from learning how to develop as a musician ;)

2. Don't be put off if it takes a while to reach a fluency comparable to what you can achieve on your guitar. Look on it as a good way of remembering how your students feel :D

Wulf

4. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Speaking as someone who did this 10 years ago... good god, it was that long ago (I feel old now). It's very doable. It will be very frustrating at first, since your right hand probably won't be able to keep up with your left hand... going to finger style vs. playing with a pick on guitar. Also, your fingertips on your left hand will be sore. All the time. :) It will take a while for your hand to get used to playing those big ol strings. Just stick with it and don't get frustrated too much... which is advice I'm sure you're already aware of.

Good luck, and welcome to the low end.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'd say keep some ice near because your left hand will be sore if your playing db it'll take time for you to get the strength up. For me guitar is easier to fret then bass guitar and bass guitar is easier to fret than db.