Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Translate this phrase!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Okay, one of the nurses I work with has a friend that speaks MANY languages, and whenever someone discovers that he speaks something unusual for this area they say "Oh say something in *fill in blank*" so he always says the same phrase in whatever language.

I heard her talking about this and want to know if the one she said is A. really what she thinks it is, and B. grammatically accurate.

"Mi piace noscondare i corpi in il paese dove la polizia non si trovono loro."

Allegedly this is Italian. I can't truly say. Could be Portugese. Could be gibberish. I only speak English well, Spanish badly, and marginal medical-only Vietnamese.

Well I CAN say "Go away and leave me alone I'm tired and my hooves hurt." and "Take off your clothes and lay down or I'll burn down your village." in German. But there is not a lot of opportunity for those phrases. ANd I think the translation on the second one is even coarser than it sounds. And I remember a friend in the navy who kept teaching me phrases in Tagalog that reaaaaaally didn't mean what he told me they meant. I don't use those phrases either.

So...if you speak Italian well. translate the phrase or critique the grammar and then translate it. And anyone that can teach us the phrase in other languages, that would be cool too.

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Um nooooooooooooo...It's supposed to be "I hide the bodies in the country so the police will not find them."

I think it would make a great series of Tshirts. All in different languages.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

Haha, silly monolinguals. (and the few who are barely that):D

As a Portuguese speaker, I have to say that that is not Portuguese at all.

I walked over to my italian co-worker's desk (Working in a multilanguage environment is great) and he told me it means "I'd like to hide the bodies in a place where the police will not find them" - I'm paraphrasing here...

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You can't find a use for "Take off your clothes and lay down or I'll burn down your village" in German? Damn,I use that all the time!

5. Hey I want the German translation for that!

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Aufziehen sie deiner kleidung oder brenne ich deinen dorf"? :D

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ecce! Castori!

:D

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The nurse is speaking Italian.