1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Translucend red on a natural wax and oil finish - WHO?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by moonbass-de, Aug 28, 2007.

1. moonbass-de

moonbass-de Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I have a oil/wax natural neck - through Warwick and would love to have this stained in dark red. My question is if there is a special step needed to get rid of the existing oil and wax that was used beyond wiping it of with a degreaser and if oil and wax would protect the wood enough that I do not get red hands whenever I play it or if there is something that can be wiped on the surface afterwards.

If I would be able to find somebody who is doing this for a reasonable price in a reasonable time frame, I'm happy to have a pro doing it!

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It will take a bit of work removing what's on there now. To get a stain to penetrate evenly you need to remove all of the old oil finish, which is probably a varnish/oil blend. I'd try paint stripper and follow up with sanding and steel wool. It will take more than one application of stripper to get it all. The stripper will remove the wax too. Wash it down thoroughly after stripping with varsol or a similar paint thinner.

I'd use a dye stain, like Transtint, in the colour you want. Then soak in and wipe off multiple coats of a Danish type oil type finish, like Minwax Anique Oil, which is actually an oil/varnish blend. That'll protect your dye and the wood to some degree. With careful work it'll look quite nice. The key is in your preparation work.

I don't know what a pro would charge for that. You can do it yourself, but do a lot of reading up on the techniques first, then practice on some scrap wood.