Transmission line bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Unique, Nov 3, 2011.

1. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    What you want to do is to get this:
    HOLM Acoustics

this:
    Amazon.com: Blue Microphones Icicle XLR to USB Mic Converter/Mic Preamp: Musical Instruments

and this:
    Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone Allows For Accurate Acoustic Measurements At A Fraction Of The Price 390-801

They will give you results that until recently you had to spend thousands to get with gear like Praxis or LMS. Time is money, and being able to do a full sweep in five seconds is worth a lot more than the 80 quid this will run you.

2. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    Thanks Bill - I may just do that for my home setup. However, I have access to lab standard equipment (but not everyday).

3. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    just a quick one - 5 seconds is not really enough time to ensure you get a good sample at low frequency. Its fine for a mid HF sweep though.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's plenty. Before using HolmImpulse I verified its accuracy to 15Hz. And it's even endorsed by Earl Geddes, which says an awful lot when it's not something that he sells. :smug:

5. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    15 Hz is pretty inaccurate in the low bass!

6. gdemichele

gdemichele

Jul 22, 2009
    I built a pair of TL's for my bass back in 1990. I actually got published in Speaker builder magazine, 1/1990 (very exciting for me!). The article was titled "Cylindrical Symmetric Guitar TL's". Each cabinet had a single 18" driver and was made of two concentric sonotubes to fold the line. The cylindrical symmetry allowed the use of very thin-walled material to contain the pressure. Each speaker weighed about 40 lbs. (this was before neo drivers), and was about 5' tall. They looked like hot water heaters. The 18" fired out the top into a conical reflector, making them omnidirectional. They sounded really terrific, very hi-fi. I ended up adding a separate mid/tweeter cabinet later. I later ripped out the drivers and put them into small boxes to make things more portable, and regret disassembling them. I am going to build another set of Bass TL's, which is why I'm reading this forum. My home stereo speakers are TL's (Time Windows, and a homebrew pair), and nothing sounds like the bass from a TL - just perfect. Keep it up!!

7. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Very interesting. The most technical bits are over my head though, and I still have a bit of confusion about the relative merits.

Let's say I have a fearful 15/6. What advantages would a Bass Unique hybrid TL style cab have over it, in practical layman's going out and gigging it terms? When I read the fearful threads their design advantage over commercial cabs was clearly and simply explained from an end user standpoint. I haven't seen that yet here, but would certainly like to. :)

8. Any news on this?

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just thought I'd add that I had a look inside an EA Wizzy recently. It isn't a true TL cab at all, if anything it's exactly this hybrid high-tuned-TL / low-tuned-ported cab that this thread discusses.

10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Interesting. I played through my Wizzy 112 for the first time in a while recently. I've always loved its smooth midrange and great dispersion, but those are due to the whizzer cone. I couldn't quite figure what the TL design is supposed to do for the bottom end...it's not as tight as a sealed, and still bottoms out/chuffs like a port when pushed hard down low.

11. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Well...

12. herbaltone

herbaltone

May 11, 2016
    wow. is this a bass cab or a reference monitor? tl's can sound good with pro-sound drivers, at least in my very un-pro opinion. i believe its the lite, thin hi efficiency cones not getting nailed as hard by back waves. for real. double that for mids. my lo tech, but applicable question is how do you keep the stuffing where it belongs while toting this beast to and fro? you did say "lightly stuffed" didn't you? sounds like that would get mobile over time.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021