Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

transmission line cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Santa brought me Vance's cookbook for Xmas this year, so little crockett has been reading it before bedtime every night.

interesting read on Transmisison lines. which brought me to the EA website. they too have a nice writeup- very clear and 'layman".

So, i am looking at a picture of epifiani's UL112, and i notice this box shaped port. Is this a small shelf port, a square plastic insert, or is it the mouth of a hidden tramsmission line folded up inside?

I see the bergantino's have an interesting shape to thier corner ports as well (at least on the 112).

Jorge has that weird , ahem, intersting looking internal Horn-esque loaded speaker.

anychance it's a T-line hidden inside any of these?

jsut curious.

I bet the guy / gal who creates a modeling program for designing transmission line cabs will become fairly popular.

Thinking out loud here, but any of your input/thoughts are welcome.

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I believe, on the EA, it's the exit mouth of the transmission line. The exit of the line, is supposed to be the exact area, of the cone of the driver, according to what I've read. I have been trying to get somebody with an EA cab to take out the speaker, and send me some pics , and measurements, so I can make one, but have had no luck. Anybody out there who might do that??? Help us broke guys out please.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Definitely not on the Schro, and I'm pretty sure that's also true for the others you mentioned as well.

I bet the guy / gal who creates a modeling program for designing transmission line cabs will become fairly popular.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Bill Fitzmaurice told me that trans. lines are not as effcient of a design as horn loaded cabs, but I'd still like to play with one.

5. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Went down the transmission line path in high end audio a long time ago. Good transient response, lots of LF extention, not that efficient. Big.

The hardest thing to learn as an engineer is it is dealing with trade-offs. Every major cabinet type has intrinsic advantages and disadvantages. Great designers through their experience can minimize the problems, yet elements of the trade-offs are always present. The only real answer is to keep experimenting; it is the only prescription known to find the sound you have in your head!

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Nothing is. :) The horn is, kind of by definition, the way to get the most efficiency from a piston driver, at least in a certain frequency range (depends on the horn size/shape).

7. TL design software already exists. It is not a give-away like WinISD, but it is alive and well.

The EA design is one worth your inspection.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

of all the 1x12's i've used, only the EA cab seemed to have the most chest thumping, kick down the doors like the FBI punch of them all. always attributed it to their particular transmission line.

9. EA is the only generally available cab I know of that has a transmission line design. The other cabs you mention (Schroe, Ep, Berg) have standard ports.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Somehow EA (esp. with their latest designs: NL210, NM410, & Wizzy) has managed to get fair efficiency, relatively compact size, and relatively lightweight.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Transmission lines have response characteristics similar to a vented box, along with the cone control of a sealed box, but they aren't particularly higher in sensitivity than a reflex, and don't begin to approach the sensitivity of a horn.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 This is my understanding as well.

13. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

I understand what you are saying. I dont get to play a lot of high end gear. I played through an EA 210 a few years ago for one gig, and i nearly cried. i woudlnt have believed a 210 woudl do what it did and sound like it sounded. it bested my hartke 115xl / ev112 rig with e a s e.

whether its a function of the T line design or not... ?

14. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    That's the great designer part!