Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transparency SWR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I'm split on what head brand to get, and ampeg, or an swr... But I remember when I was playing on my friends SWR Workingmans 15 combo (160 watss), the "head" on it, had a cool feature, called transparency, what exactly does that do?
    thanks-------

EDIT: 6/28/03
    Look at bottom post...

2. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
  3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    The transparency knob controls frequencies above 5khz. I sometimes use it to give old strings a bit of sizzle. It does just that. You have to be careful though, as the sound can get very harsh very quickly. You can get by with just a slight boost to the transparency.

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Thanks man, that helped,now theres only one thing to do to decide between Ampeg and SWR: "To guitar center!" (yeah, the places around here suck)...
    thanks----

5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Why just slight... What would it sound like if you turne it to 0, and then to 10? How much of a difference would it be?

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    If I remember correctly, when I increased the transparency on my old Super Redhead, it sounded as if the mids were being cut.

7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Its actually a cut/boost, guess i should have specified that. Turn it down to -10, you'll get rid of the sizzle; it makes the sound dull and thumpy. Turn it up to +10 and you have a sound that is incredibly harsh, it sizzles even when you aren't playing due to pickup noise. I honestly don't even touch the control, except maybe to tweak it to +1 or +2 to counter the effects of dead strings.

8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Nope... according to SWR, its just a control for frequencies above 5khz, and I am inclined to agree from my experience with my SM-400S. Now, the Aural Enhancer DOES cut the mids. Maybe you're thinking of that?

9. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    I didn't realize "transparency" and "aural enhancement" were two separate functions- apologies for the misdirection and thanks for the education.

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Ah yes, you are correct. Long hot day at work, the brain is not functioning too well. :)

11. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Transparency isn't on all SWR amps...my SM-400S has it...my SM-400 doesn't.

I've never really used it for anything...maybe rolling off that knob a little would warm up the sound?

12. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
  13. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
  14. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    From the WM15's owners manual:

"Transparency-
    The transparency control, is a shelving type tone control that cuts or boosts the high frequencies a full octave above the treble function. Shelving point for this control is about 5 kHz."

What does that mean?

15. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    It just means the transparency control is a boost/cut circuit for frequencies above 5khz. The shelving point means the frequency point where the filter engages.