1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Transparent and clear overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Oct 13, 2006.

1. I'm here today to ask you effects experts for some suggestions. I'm looking for a transparent sounding overdrive pedal. An example of the sound I'm looking for is a simple Boss ODB-3 with the gain turned all the way down. It's overdrive, but it's subtle and clear.

However, even at that I would get a bit of fuzziness and lack of clarity. I want an overdrive that's not too thick and doesn't take away too much of the natural sound, and especially without scooping my mids. My Sansamp does that quite a bit so I'm forced to keep the blend level low and I never get a true overdrive, just grit. I want a metallic growl, lots of punch. No fuzz, distortion, etc. True-bypass helps.

What would you suggest? Is Boss' ODB the best choice? Thanks.

2. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Don't know if it's the kind of overdrive you want, but the Xotic Bass BB Preamp leaves your tone intact... I say check that one out for sure!

3. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    The Fulltone bassdrive does what you want. On the comp cut mode it give a lightly overdriven sound whithout loss in clarity. When you hit the boost you get all the grit and volume boost you could ever want. Although the price is high you get what you pay for.

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are loads of boutique OD/boost pedals that will do the job (for examples, search for "boost" on pedalgeek.com). The Barber LTD Silver might be exactly what you're looking for. You might also look into one of the buffered blend units we've been discussing lately, to mix your clean signal with the overdriven one.

5. So maybe I'm looking for a gain booster? Good idea, I'll look into that. Thanks all!

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i also think you should try a Fulltone Bassdrive in Comp-Cut mode. Very transparent, yet clear clipping, no tone messing!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021