Transparent Fuzz Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Sep 20, 2001.

1. alright, i need a good transparent fuzz for my rig. i've tried a couple of different Boss distortions, and the Dano Fab Tone, but i need something smoother that will retain the thump of my tone, while coloring the sound. anybody have any suggestions? I've been looking into EH, Lovetone, Way Huge, Fulltone, etc, but i'm having a hard time getting an idea for what i need.
  2. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    try something with seperate bottom mids and highs, i have a DOD 'death metal' distortion pedal, and it sounds pretty good, something happend to it, it can't turn off now, i'll take it apart, try to fix it, but anyway, something with low mids and high controls will be helpful.
  3. I've tried the Line-6 DM-4 at a local store once.. it's a programmable distortion/overdrive pedal, which sounds REALLY nice, but it costs a lot of $$$
  4. i know the pedal you are reffering too.. i have a cheesy boss "heavy metal" pedal that i use now. you can separate high & low mids, but i lose all the beef of my tone. anybody ever use Lovetone or Way Huge for bass? i run through an SWR Bass 350 and a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, but no cheapo fuzz pedals i've tried retain the beef of the SansAmp. downstairs, do you like the DOD? you mentioned it won't turn off now.. makes me a little skeptical..
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Hmm, transparent but colors the sound...that's a tough one :)
  6. brianrost> are you being sarcastic? i'm looking for a pedal that will allow the tone to come out yet able to add "color"(fuzz).. Budda makes a pedal like this but i don't like the tone. Jeff's Guitars in San Diego makes the Varidrive which does this as well. pure tone with effect added but not washing out the tone.. that is what i am referring to as transparent... again, anybody try Lovetone or Way Huge for bass?
  7. I once bought the Swollen Pickle based in a review but it was silly for the bass....a huge low-mid bump that was just way, way too much. For g****r however...amazing. A Big Muff on steroids. Maybe you just need a box with a clean blend and find your balance there. Try the Fulltone Bassdrive; nothing but positive reviews for that. They all talk about the character of their instruments coming through.
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    go with the big muff pi
  9. Hee hee! :D

I doubt I have anything that's NOT digital. Oh yeah, my bass! Other than that? Nope. Digital effects, digital amp, digitally designed speaker cabs...

Oh wait, I forgot! It moves heaven and earth. IOW:

IT ROCKS!!!
  10. All you need is a simple germanium overdrive Voodoo Labs fuzz is good, The Ibanez one is very good and the chrunchy the best example of this fuzz is Orgy's "Octagon", or you could get some nice results with an overdrive running into a gate I forget the name of the type of gate, sorry.

...But I agree with AllodoX the DM-4 is a great pedal.
  11. IT ROCKS!!!...
    ...But it's got no Soul

BTW: I don't need no stinking digital.
  12. Word.:D