Transparent or Coloured Cabinets on stage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by el_Kabong, Aug 5, 2005.

1. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I don't like transparent coz they're too hard to find.....

Ahem, sorry, couldn't help myself. I've been reading some of the recent threads touching on this subject and been confronted with my ignorance. Also I listened to the tracks on the celinder site and was suprised at the difference between the sound of their bass solo'd, and the way the same sound sat in a mix. Specifically I'd like to hear your experiences of what works (on stage, not recording) and why you think it does the business. For myself I've been using a modifed SVT410hlf. When I set it up on my own I've pulled some sounds from it that I really liked. I've never managed to achieve the same satisfaction with it at a rehearsal or a gig, despite enuff knob twiddling to damage my eyesight.... The best stage sound I've ever had has been in a large room with a big (for the room) pa, using a couple of 2x10 cabs. The midrange bark of the 2x10s combined with the lows off the back of the pa made for a brilliant stage sound. The same cabs sound decidedly ordinary on their own, not a patch on the svt. So I'm thinking about upgrading from the ampeg and am a little unsure about which way to head. I must admit to being attracted to the cabs that claim to be engineered to sound good on a stage, usually a difficult accoustic environment. So let's hear it, what works for you and why?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What works for me is a rig that, in my honest opinion, sounds like crap when I play solo. The band mix, especially when considering the addition of the low end "backwash" coming off the PA, requires a TOTALLY different tone than what sounds good to me when solo'd.

Every Friday and Saturday, I have to literally fight my temptation to tweak my amp when doing a solo'd line check for the PA. If I get my solo'd bass tone to sound like I like it to sound, it sounds like hell once the band get started and the PA is fired up to full volume.

Everyone's application is different. Mine, I need an abundance of mids to cut through the stage mix, and while I like full and rounded lows, I find it works better onstage if I remove the extreme low end to clear the muddiness.

This is for my CURRENT APPLICATION only. I've been in plenty of other bands and projects where my current tone would be a disaster.
  3. jazza42uk

Sep 14, 2001
    Bristol, UK
    I'm a big fan of transparent. I like the sound of my Status & Wal to be uncoloured, so what comes out of the speakers is the same as what I get DI'd in the studio. My current rig of Eden WT400 & Swr Triad gives me what I want. If I need to change the sound for a particular room, I just use the EQ on the Eden, otherwise it stays flat as nature intended. :)
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    all depends on the situation.

for most of my church stuff, and when i'm only competing against, say an acoustic guitar, vox, drums, i'll go "uncolored" with my Acmes. i can hear the nuances of my fretless, as well as the airy sweetness of my Avalon U5 into the fat tube love that my Demeter gear imparts to the sound. a heady mix for sure that otherwise in a more dense or crowded soundstage would otherwise be lost.

course, for those times, when i just need to cut, my Epifani's make the grade time and again. also, compared to most other colored cabs, the Epi's have this articulated, detailed high end, that sounds ... well, "hifi"! no blurry, muffled mess here. just sweet, open, airy, yet fat, and punchie Epifani sound, every time.

so, again, all depends on the situation, and most times, i'm trying to find opportunities to go uncolored, but my needs will steer me to the colored side.
  5. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    This is what I'm wondering about. (I can see myself walking into my local bass emporium going 'give me the sh*ttiest gear you've got, I don't care what it costs!!') I suspect that what I need is a much clearer, tighter and more cutting sound than I would ever set up solo. More hi-fi for want of an alternative description I guess. I'm not sure whether that translates into a 'transparent' cab or something more hi-fi than an ampeg but still coloured to cut though the racket, oops I mean music on stage (stages not being as friendly an acoustic environment as a studio).