Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transparent solid state Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shatner, Feb 11, 2005.

1. shatner

shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    In your opinions, which solid state preamps are the most transparent? I have an RBI and I would say it changes your clean bass signal quite considerably even when the tone controls are flat.

Mark

2. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Turn down the blend.

3. +1.
    In my short time experimenting with the RBI, the defining factor in getting good tones seems to be finding the sweet spot on that Blend knob. You can sound like anyone from Geddy Lee to Fieldy, depending on where the Blend is. Having heard my basses through numerous rigs, I feel like I'm able to get their true tone using the RBI, but it takes some subtle tweaking.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how much you willing to spend?

could always get a Speck 5.0 pre.

5. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

The Speck is around $700 but the "Mix Node" feature is worthless for live playing.

You could get a FMR RNP mic pre for under $500. They are suppose to be very transparent. It's just a pre though, no EQ section.

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Avalon U5 is supposed to be super transparent.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what is the mix node? and have you tried both? i'm actually looking for a cool transparent pre meeself.

9. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    The Avalon U5 is about as transparent as it gets, but it lacks some convenient features such as power switch, input mute, and effects loop. Also the U5 six preset EQ curves may not be enough EQ, dependng on the sound you're going for.

The most transparent dedicated bass preamps I've played are the Raven Labs USIP and Glockenklang BassArt. If you can find one, give the USIP a try. I use a USIP as my regular gigging preamp and have no complaints.

10. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

I think the Mix Node function is for hooking it up to a computer. I'm sure they talk about it on Speck's website.

I haven't tried either. They are both suppose to be great pres, it's just that function on the Speck is useless for gigging so why pay for it.

11. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

I have to disagree with that. It's clearer than most bass pres, yes, but when compared to a high end mic pre you'll hear the coloration. Not that that's a bad thing. They didn't design it to be a straight wire gain like a Millennia. Just another tool in the bag.

12. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I've used a sansamp, either the SABDDI or the RBI, for four years now. With the blend all the way up, it colors the sound VERY strongly--backing the blend off to 3 o'clok or 12 o'clock really lessens that. The sans amp also has active and very powerful tone controls--it really boosts some frequencies and I find it can sometimes sound kind of un-natural--good, but un-natural

I just switched--I've been posting about it--to an avalon u5. I've only used it for two gigs, but I keep babbling to anyone who'll listen about how much I like it. I don't really know how "transparent" it is--it sounds a lot different from just plugging my bass direct into the power amp; much more wide range and much richer, deeper lows. Whatever it adds, it's great and does not feel intrusive or over-filtered as the sansamp sometimes did: it feels natural and direct, I think because it's extremely sensitive. I think Daniel is right--it's not totally transparent