Transporting a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Im going out to a friends house in the next couple of days for a jam, i never took it into much consideration before, but i was remembering a thread where someone's cab was delievered and not working cus it had been banged and the speaker got a bit f00ked

Anyway, is there a "best" or safest was to transport a cab, face down (speakers down), on its back, on its side, or does it not matter aslong as the car doesnt crash :smug:

Cheers guys
  2. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I always set mine in the back of my van, upright, but with the speakers facing one of the sides, so that nothing can fall into them or damage them or anything like that.
  3. If I'm using the pickup, then they stand up at the front of the bed and are blocked in so they won't fall and the speakers are protected. The nice thing about my bass cabs is that they are sealed so I don't have to worry as much about the back. If I am using the car, I usually sit them face down on the rear seat.
  4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Never load with the speakers facing directly up or down.
    They will bounce around like 'shock absorbers' and can
    cause 'passive over-excursion.'

Load on it's side or straight up.
  5. I put my cab on its side in the backseat of my car. Its the only way its going to fit. Seems to work fine.
  6. Cool, side or upright seems like the way to go, well, its gonna be on its side then

its front ported but has a nice big metal grill so is pretty much fine i think :)

7. Extremely unlikely that this would ever happen.. Speaker cones just don't have enough mass and to move like that against their suspension from road bumps.

Shifted magnets from transporting them upright would be more likely, but still very remote especially if travelling by car.

I've seen speakers survive a rolled semi trailer undamaged (of course a good number did get damaged in that accident but about 70% of the drivers survived unharmed).
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Over the years I've travelled with my cabs in every possible configuration with no damage whatsoever. When you here about cabs damaged in shipping, we're talking about having them dropped 5 feet to the concrete off a UPS truck, not whether the speakers were facing up or down in the box . . . .
  9. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    +1 what Mark said.

It really doesn't matter much. If you hit a bump or pothole so hard that it damages your speakers, either by "passive over excursion" or shifting a magnet, you're not gonna be making the gig any way 'cause I'm sure the car is going to be much more severely damaged than your equipment.