Transporting a DB.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Sheraton, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Sheraton

Sep 12, 2002
    KL, Malaysia
    Hi guys.
    I'm asking my friend to bring back a DB from States through flight. Just need some info about how u guys carry the DB by plane? do u put it into over size baggage? what's the rate for that? or u hand carry it into the passanger seat? in this case should i buy a hard case for it? any info is helpful for me tq.
  2. Shlomobaruch

Dec 31, 2002
    Boise, ID
    Depends on whether or not a hard case is available. The case would be for baggage compartment only - it won't fit in the cabin. If there's an extra charge, it would depend on the airline as to what it would be. Although the case is fairly safe, it is not a guarantee against damage.

I've never flown with a bass, but if I did, the preferred method would be to buy another ticket for the bass. I've traveled by bus, and the method is basically the same. You invert the bass (in its padded bag, of course), put a pillow on the floor under the scroll to dampen vibration, and secure it with the seat belt. You'll need an extension for the seat belt, which the flight attendant can provide. Depending on the airline, they might not even allow this though. And the guy sitting behind the bass might be rather cranky if he can't see the in-flight movie. Either way, I'd call around and find out who is going to work with you the most on this.
  3. I don't know if you can find an airline , in this day and age ,which will let you take a double bass into the passenger area, even if you pay full price for a seat? If you are going to put it in the hold, it will not go in normal will have to put it in oversize, and you will definitely have to have a hard case for it. Ring up the day before the flight and let them know that you are coming. This is not only courtesy , but if you can get a name of the person in charge at the time of boarding, it gives you a stable terminal if you encounter a problem at check in, when they will probably be too busy to want to deal with anything out of the ordinary. You can hire one for not too much money from most larger shops or dealers. A piano player I used to work with occasionally, worked for a while at Heathrow Airport as a baggage handler, and he told me that they have 13 mins on average to get the baggage off a 'plane. They are usually not malicious, but have no time for niceties, like fragile stickers .
    Something to bear in mind.