Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transporting Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spector_Ray, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I was wondering the best way to transport cabinets. I was told you do it with the drivers facing down. Some have said it makes no difference. What say you? :confused:

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've always done drivers down, because my Nemesis combo has a big ol' heat sink on the back.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have gone round and round on this one. I have heard both speakers pointing up and speakers pointing down. Each has its own little example to go with it. Some say speakers facing up because sometimes magnets come through the basket and tear out the cones if they are speakers down. Some say speakers down because when they face up, there is extra fatigue on the fasteners and they may fail. My advice is this: put them any way that minimizes the potential of something poking through the grill and puncturing the cone. Or, if you have Accugroove cabs, the best way to protect the accuswitch. I put mine on their sides. Simply because that's how they fit in my truck best. YMMV greatly.

4. I've been transporting speakers of every description in every kind of vehicle for 15 years or more and I don't think it makes a lick of difference unless you get into an accident or you drive into a 3 foot deep pothole. None of the regular forces (esp. in a car) of driving are enough to do any damage to your drivers.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've always kept mine upright and I've never had a problem. But then, I store them and play them upright, so I don't understand why you'd need to otherwise.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I just make sure nothing will shift in my car and poke through the grille.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Back of an El Camino, face to face my 115 and 410. Nothing gets near the grilles to harm 'em but they're upright to prevent damage.

8. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I put them in the car anyway they fit.

9. If you're worried about something poking through the grill,
    then just buy a cover. Don't most manufacturers offer
    speaker covers? I've been using mine with my Carvin cabs
    since about 1993, and I haven't run into any trouble.

And if covers aren't offered, you could always go to your
    local tent & awning store and have some custom made.

Just a thought.

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    [​IMG]

I believe it makes absolutely no difference. The spider keeps the cone positioned where it is supposed to be. The voice coil isn't going to bottom or be dangerously slammed from side to side. If the magnet ever came through the basket then it obviously had defects to begin with.

This may seem irrelevant to some but look at car audio. The same basic design and building techniques/materials go into them as our drivers. Now think about how many different positions you have seen them installed in a vehicle. Then consider how many different types of vehicles. Now, how many failures have you heard of because of the position of a speaker or sub? Don't forget to also consider drivers for musical instruments tend to be built to higher standards than most car type speakers.

The defense rest. :D

11. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Most touring concert pa cabs are on wheels, or attach to dolly boards when they load them. They are simply rolled into the truck and usually left standing upright. If they are turned another direction, it's because that's the way it fits in the truck best.

My bass rig ready to go:
    [​IMG]

12. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    EV suggested we travel with our PA speakers face down after we separated the compression drivers magnet from vertical force.....I would think each company would be a good source for info as they know their design best.

Pro tours travel with extra speakers to swap out of the cabinets when they're fried or broken. They can afford to put them how ever they like ;)

13. Did you break the horn throats off or did the magnet actually come apart? I can see breaking a fiberglass horn throat with a big comp driver on it if the driver wasn't well supported. It would still take a pretty good jolt though. I've only seen this happen a couple of times in 10 years of touring. Once was from a semi rollover (most of the cabs survived unharmed). That was the only time I ever saw this happen to a cone speaker. They were EV X-Array cabs, actually.........:D

14. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    I put them any way i can in my Blazier. Most of the time my 2x10 is laying down like its used to play but horz. so that it wont tip if i stop fast. When i go to a gig, truck to show, i use a cart i made with some wheels on it. I dont have anything in my blazier that can poke a hole in my speakers. So i dont worry about it, ive never heard about having cabs a certin way when they are stored.

15. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    This is true. Extra cabs and/or extra drivers for those cabs, extra amps, two power supplies for each mixing board (the one piece of gear you absolutely can not do without), sometimes extra channel strips for the mixing boards, extra mics and direct boxes, and about twice as many mic cables as you actually plan to use.
    The Boy Scouts have it right: Be Prepared.

16. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    We separated the magnet! That was a first for me. EV split the repair with us since it's such a rarity. The newer cabs have a set screw in through the back to help keep the magnet in place.

mgood....sounds like you've been there! Those were the good old days for me, I'm retired ;) no more shlepping!