1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Transporting gear at gigs...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GBBSbassist, Dec 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Hey all, I've done a search, but a lot of the results I find are fairly old. I know I've seen a handful of pics of decent ones, but I'm having issues finding a good one now.

I'm looking at picking up a cart for moving my gear around at gigs. I'm using two 1x12 cabs, and a small class D racked setup. I'd like to get setup with a single carry mini rig of doom, but I'll worry about that in the future.

However, the cabs have no casters, and I'd like to be able to move everything in one single trip. Two Aguilar 1x12's, one 4 space rack, and the instrument in a hardshell case.

What type of carts are you guys/gals using to easily haul your band gear? I don't have a set budget, but I'd like something with decent wheels, and preferably something that folds up well.

Thanks!

2. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I use a GruvGear cart...am 5 yrs into it and it hasn't hiccup'd yet. My old stand up two wheeler got so wobbly the wheels started folding in during use. The GruvGear beats it by a mile.

elgecko likes this.
  3. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    +1

elgecko likes this.
  4. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I’m partial to Rock and Rollers. They also expand so you can haul PA, drums, etc., if you’re feeling generous. In the short configuration they’ll haul what you’re describing easily.

Simple parts to replace and source; mine’s been going for 12 years now with nothing but a tire replacement.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If you want to be able to move everything in one trip you need to question your assumptions about what you need for a gig.
    Get rid of the rack and the hard case. Put your amp in the side pocket a gig bag with a shoulder strap. You now have hands free for one or two cabs.

6. GBBSbassist

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Gee...that was helpful!

Other input regarding the actual original post are still welcome.

7. Get something like this to move everything with one hand.
    31F81FDD-967B-4060-9C0D-31CBB0864C59.

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    ^ that is way too much $$$ for that type of cart.

Look for the same config under the name Magna or Milwaukee at a hardware store if you think it will do the job for you.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  9. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I have one similar to this... 200 pound capacity, 12.5x16 inch pallet works well or my 1x12 Berg; and with a piece of 3/4" ply, the pallet can be extended to accommodate a bass if needed.

700_open_lg.

Stumbo likes this.
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I do a lot of hotels that have mazes of kitchens before you hit a ballroom, the Rock & Roller carts have been great to me for over twenty years.

11. Them are fantastic and I love mine for weekly one trip load ins, curbs and stairs are no problem. :thumbsup: I am using the Magna Cart, about $40 dollars. https://www.amazon.com/Magna-Personal-Capacity-Aluminum-Folding/dp/B000HVVSDU
    Sadly, with the 4 space rack case the load is too tall with two 12s on the cart. :(

These carts do fold small.

Car_load_no_bass.

The load in is, amp on my back, with all cables and tuner pedal in the amp bag. The music stand with book and bass stand are on top of a Genz 2x12 cab, secured with a velcro strap around the handle of the cart in the left hand, and bass in the right hand. :thumbsup:

I present to you, The One Trip Load In.

One_trip_load_in.

Stumbo and Nephilymbass like this.
  12. BassPilot

BassPilot Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Novato, CA
    Rock and roller for me. One load in.....One load out.
    Built like a brick S-House!

13. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I have a Milwaukee version of this that is ok, but is a compromise. It folds up great, is stout enough to move my 410 and 212 GK neo cabs one at a time, but the wheel base will cause the cabs to sway back and forth and fall off if I'm not on even pavement. I of course slow down and this stops the wobbling, but this is the man draw back.

I have a product similar to the groove gear cart made out of plastic that can be used as a standard hand truck, and laid down on the other set of casters and run like a cart. In cart mode I can get two cabs and the rack on and move no problem... As long as the pavement is smooth. Forget about it on gravel. It's hard to pack and doesn't fold up, so it's hard to get in a car or small suv.

So based on the two hand trucks, I'm using the smaller Milwaukee I paid 30 bucks for. It's not as sturdy and I can't carry as much on it, but it will go across snow and gravel and stairs if it has to.

If I have to move across rough terrain, up a lot of stairs, or want to grab both cabs stacked at the same time, I grab the hand truck with pneumatic wheels that we keep in the equipment van.

But if I had to have just one and couldn't use the others it would be the Milwaukee that folds up for easy transportation.

14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Another vote for Gruvgear!

20150309_014438_zpsbhmwakwg.

Jayhawk and S-Bigbottom like this.
  15. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Lose the hard case for a gig bag with backpack straps. Everything else goes on a folding hand cart.

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Gruvgear carts? Didn't see any on their website.

17. GBBSbassist

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Can we stop with this? Some of us don't like gig bags.

Should I downsize my cabs too? Maybe I could just hum the bass notes into the PA instead, then I wouldn't have to bring anything!

charlie monroe likes this.
  18. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You need IEMs. No cart required ;)

S-Bigbottom and GBBSbassist like this.
  19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    They're marketed under the Krane name these days.

Krane AMG 500 Utility Cart

20. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have too much for one trip, but my Rock&Roller carries my amp, cabs, and monitors. Second load brings boxes with snake, wire and cable, and accessories.
    shuck2.

GBBSbassist likes this.