Transporting your bass equipment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StringMan50, Dec 30, 2004.

1. StringMan50

Jan 12, 2004
    What do you use to carry your bass in. Hardshell case,softpack. backpack style. Oh yes type of car,truck,suv,etc...
  2. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    i usually will carry my bass in a gig bag when taking the bus or driving, but if there is any risk of damage, like bringing someone else's gear along or having other people move my bass, i put it in a hardshell.
  3. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Hard shell case in the back of my Durango. The distance between the back seat and the rear door is an absolute perfect fit! My rig fits in quite nicely right next to the bass. It's like the vehicle was custom made for my rig!
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Both my MM sterling and Godin SD have a hardcase.
  5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Nothing but a hardshell case ever. I can usually get 3 or 4 cases in my Cobra.
  6. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    2 basses, one in gig case the other in hardshell case. 2 Hartke TP cabinets, amp head, Boss pedal case, wireless system, mic stand, and bag 'o stuff like cables and power chords. All fits nicely into my Tuscani :)

The Nanny

Attached Files:

7. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Warwick in a Hardshell, Ibanez in a gig bag, all fits nicely with the B150 in the back of a VW Caddy van! :cool:

One day we will try it in the back of the Camaro! ;)
  8. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Road cases. Big and Ugly, granted. Harder than hell to get around, granted. But after spending a crap load of money (at least to me), I take NO chances.... :meh:

Which brings up an interesting question that maybe you guys can help clear up for me...I have heard that (and I can't remember where) that the molded plastic cases are about the worst cases you can use. Something about not letting humidity escape or something like that. Seems as though the article said that only the regular wooden hard shell cases (such as Fender, or the "vintage" rickenbacker cases) should be used. Anyone have any idea if this is true or not? I wish I could remember where I read this but hey..54 year old mind...what do you expect!?!? Thanks Guys!
  9. I use hardshells, regardless of where I'm going or how I'm getting there.
  10. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    For my bass, i use a backpack sytle gig bag. It's very similar to the Summit Guitar pack. It has a hard plate in the back andd is padded very well. As far as cars, I'm putting my Ampeg BXT410HL4 cabe (2) and my 4 space rack with Qsc PLX2402 and Peavey Max preamp into a Ford Contour. Everything fits just right, but I want something bigger, or at least a hatchback. B Easy

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Incase bag or Undercover double gig bag. Amps are in Skb cases, cabs are covered with custom covers. All goes in a 2001 Blazer

12. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    All I ever move around is my bass in its hard shell case...

In which I'm happy even though its mad heavy, the HSC is a great thing considering that on Sunday when I went to church, when my friend's dad opened the trunk of their minivan, my bass fell I love my HSC now :D
  13. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    My bass is in one of the "soft" hard rectangular cases always everywhere. My Rack is in an aluminum CNB rack, and my HT322 cab has a fitted cover.

The rig fits PERFECTLY behind the back seat of my Honda Element, with lots of room to pile in more stuff on top.
  14. I'm not disrespecting anyone...

Public transportation issues aside, I cannot fathom anyone thinking a gig bag is superior to a hardshell case. I see how beat cases get, I see changes in temperatures, I see a vulnerable headstock angle and I can't imagine anyone putting their instrument in a gig bag.
  15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

No disrespect to you either. I live in Upstate NY, used to live in Southern Cal and did many gigs all the way from the coast to Vegas. Never have had an issued transporting a bass in a quality gigbag. No breaks, neck warping, etc. Temperature and humidity changes have not affected any of my instruments transported in a gigbag. These are very nice bags, granted. I dont care for hard cases. Take up too much room, heavy to carry, pain in the but in general. If I played once a month, I wouldnt comment. I play about 160 shows a year!!!

16. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I wouldn't think that ventilation would be an issue when you're using your case just for transport.....but if you are storing your bass in it constantly, I suppose so. And I have found road cases to be pretty bad about holding moisture, since they often have an outer layer of plastic on top of wood. I've got an Anvil case for my P bass in which the foam completely decomposed while sitting in a closet. Luckily, the bass was not stored in it.
  17. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Oh, hard cases for me. Goes into a '98 Z-28; depending on how much gear is needed, it also has a trailer hitch. I've got a 2' x 4' covered cargo platform that inserts into the hitch if I just need a couple of items more than what'll fit in the car, and I've got a 6' x 10' trailer if I'm bringing the PA.
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Didn't we just do this to death?

Anyway... my gigbags are in great shape, which probably explains why my basses are too.

On the transport issue, I use a 99 Mazda Miata LS, 2003 Honda Element, 92 Civic Si or even my 1977 Fiat 124 Spider for gigs. My largest rig will fit in the Spider.

I took three guitars and two basses to a photo shoot last week... in my Miata.
  19. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well my my ibanez and my zon go in harshell cases. my two warwicks go in warwick rockbags. the basses are in good shape btu the bags have been hammered. so ill probably have cases built for them soon.

as far as my amp, cabinet, effects and other stuff go, im having road cases built for all of them by katz audio. except my peavey head, its a rock. anyway, the cases might be heavy and expensive, but after all the money ive already paid for everything, why chance it. i mean my stuff gets moved around all the time.

only problem is i cant fit the cab into my car (chevey cavalier) with the case on, but it damages the tolex with the case off. so if she lets me, i use g-ma's durango. and that thing is marvelous.
  20. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Come to think of it, how are those cases? I hate the weight of my HSC and I like gig bags - which it would seem like the perfect mix for me...

And where to get them cheap...>_<