1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Transporting

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Sippy, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I have an '03 Ford Ranger. It's great to transport my EGB, amps, cabs, etc. But How would I transport my double bass? It is more susceptible to heat and humidity (being in Florida we tend to have a surplus of that. I plan on getting a cover for the bed of my truck, so that will protect it from rain. BUT still heat and humidity. Can I get some suggestions from you seasoned double bass people? Thanks a lot.

P.S. Has the logo in the corner of the screen had a picture of a BASS and HOOK this whole time?? or is it an april fools prank... I HATE April Fools day cause I am so damn gullible! :(

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Bass and hook? Wherezattt?

In general, I try to use my Subaru Forester instead of my Nissan Frontier, but when I do have to use the truck to transport the bass, I lay something soft down on the bed (foam, in my case) and place something under the neckblock area. I use my gig bag, but a rolled-up towel would be okay. This lifts the scroll up off the bed so it doesn't put stress on the neck. The bed cover I have is pretty cool; it's an Extang Fulltilt, which can be tilted up, rolled up to the cab end, or removed entirely in a matter of seconds. That way, I can still use the truck to haul big loads if I need to.

Of course, when the truck stops, the bass comes out and goes with me. One thing I've noticed; when you shut the truck off, the truck bed gets pretty warm from the exhaust passing right under it and allowing the residual heat to rise up throught it, so you wouldn't want to leave the bass in there for any length of time.

The other thing is; try to choose your route so that you avoid as much twists and potholes as possible. Trucks like my Nissan and your Ford weren't designed to give a comfortable ride, so you should try to minimize the jarring as much as possible.

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea.. I'm considering building a "coffin" basically it looks just like a casket and is padded like one, and I'll throw my bass in there and throw the casket in the bed. What do you think of that?

4. I think it will probably weigh a ton, depending on what materials you are using.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yea I'd use particle board, and just pillows lining the sides bottom and top.. that would weigh a ton :( a flight case maybe? how good are they?

6. Flight Cases are great, but they will run you about $1800- 2600.
    But since you're not flying somewhere, I don't think you need one.There is no case that I know of the will keep your bass at a constant temperature and humidity. I would reccomend you check out one of the Bass Cases from Upton or (all hail!) Bob G.
    Either one of those will offer the protection that you need at this point.(And they have wheels on them too!):)

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I know a symphony guy that did something pretty cool; he bought some high-density foam, and cut it to fit the back of his car (a Volvo P1800). Then he cut out the center to snugly fit around his bass, designing in some neck support as I mentioned previously. He covered the whole thing in some type of fabric. I think you could do something similar with your pickup truck. Maybe you could even design it to slide out partway, to make it easier to get the bass in and out. If you cut it to fit between the wheel wells, you would still have some room for a small amp, gig bags, etc.