Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transposable Chord Charts - Site Updated

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Phil Smith, May 21, 2003.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Greetings folks,

I've spent some time updating my site that has the transposable chord charts on it. The site is here and here. The first site is a non framed version and the second is a framed one. I'm looking for some feedback about the two, your comments are welcome. Enjoy!

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hey Phil - it's looking good. It's a useful site, I've used it myself on a few occasions (though, I don't agree with all the of the chords you have up there ;)).

Have you added some more songs? Or did I just not notice some of them...

Oh, while we're on the subject... I was wondering, why, in Maiden Voyage, have you called the first chord II7sus (and thus the second one IV7sus etc)? I was just wondering what your logic was on calling that chord 2. To the extent that I think of Maiden Voyage being in a key (it only has 4 chords, and they don't really all fit in one key), I think of that Dsus chord as being the root. I don't really get the logic of saying that tune is in C :confused:

And I believe we've already gone into the issue of what to call that Db chord :D I went for Db-7 in the end - but I don't think of it as a sus chord (it has the minor 3rd in it).

Anyway, good work, Phil :cool:

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Thanks for the kind words moley.

No, I haven't added any songs and have yet to address that aspect of the site, that's the next phase. All that was addressed were the look and feel issues.

As for Maiden Voyage, the key signature has no sharps or flats which would for all intents and purposes imply the key of C. How's that for logic? :D

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Great Idea! Your site just got added to my bookmarks/favorites list. A donation will be on the way (as soon as I get some more $ in my PayPal account.......hmmm, what can I sell?);)

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :D

You mean the Real Book version has no sharps & flats... that's still only someone's transcription. I always assumed that the lack of a key signature doesn't indicate that it's in C, it really just indicates that they didn't want to specify a key. Since the chords are mostly sus chords (and not ones that belong to the same key) - you could say that it's not really in one key.

IIRC, in the real book, they did the same with Dolphin Dance. There were no sharps & flats. I assume the reason for that is that it modulates so much, and doesn't stay in one key for long. But, you can't tell me that Dolphin Dance is in C Major (or A Minor) :D

6. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    I loaded the framed version and when I double click on a song in the left pane I get "Error in Page" on my status bar.

I'm using IE 5. Am I doing something wrong?

Great idea for a web resource. Thanks!

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    No, I don't think you're doing anything wrong, it's probably just the version of IE you're using. How does the non-framed version work for you?

8. Just out of interest, what do the blue numbers beside a chord mean? are they subs? and what does the 2 mean beside a chord i.e.C2, i havent encountered that before.
    Thanks
    Ctoal

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    The blue numbers are another chord in another color to make it easier to read depening on the screen resolution things may get a little cramped. In situations where there is more one than one chord in the bar, I'm using this color scheme.

C2 = Csus2 = Cadd9no3 or could mean Cadd9

10. thank You, oh, and what a great website. I once encountered the website, failed to bookmark it and lost the page. Little did i know that the behind it was here, in our very own Talkbass!
    Thanks again,
    Ciaran Toal
    NI