1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Transposing on bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by btrag, Feb 29, 2008.

1. btrag

btrag

Mar 7, 2005
    Chicago
    Is transposing on bass as simple as moving the all notes notes up or down, depending on the space between the interval of the key?

For example, if a tune was in the key of A and I'm transposing it to the key of B, would I just move all the notes up one full step?

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Yes.

3. It's that simple on any instrument. Granted, it's nice that the fretboard shape stays the same on bass.

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    A trick some use for bigger differences in key is to read in the original key, but play it in the neck position for the new key. In other words take advantage of the sliderule effect of fretted instruments.

5. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    Try orchestral trumpet. F, Bb, E, A, C, all on the fly. There are otehr keys, too, but those are the most common. Not as easy as moving up or down a fret. (man i love bass)

6. Hey what about the amazing Eb alto sax huh what about them? :p

7. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    The only time it'll really screw with your head is if you use open strings and then have to transcribe it up or down. *mutter mutter*. But if you're playing the pattern all closed....... to transcribe ya just move your hand :).

8. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    Yeah but to saxes ever have a part written in C and are told to play in Eb? Nope, all their parts are in Eb.

Orchestra is crazy.

9. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I play trumpet too. I hate transposing on the darned thing...

10. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    It's that simple. But of course if there's no room to transpose ALL notes down (the register of the bass ends), you need of course to use the note one octave above instead.

The same effect is achieved if you tune down or up your instrument, or use a capo. I just haven't seen a capo being used on a bass...

11. /thread