Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

transposition

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by jazzbop, Aug 31, 2004.

1. jazzbop

jazzbop

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi, I am a high school bass player and in my jazz band class i am playing Take the "A" Trane and my private teacher told me i should transpose it into concert C from concert Ab, but i really don't know how.
    Can you help me?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Music is realtional - let me give you an example, the major scale has the exact same formula (W,W,H,W,W,W,H) no matter where it starts, therefore every major scale has that do, re mi ... sound to it although there are different starting notes. Same thing with melodies, bass lines and chords. If the tonic chord of Take the A Train is an Ab, and you want to transpose it to C, then you have raised that chord (and every chord or note in the tune) by the interval of major third.

If the first chord is Ab - move it up a Major third to C
    The second chord is Bb7(b5) - move it up a major third to D7(b5), etc.

The first melody note is an Eb - move it up to G, and so on.

Does this help?

Mike

ps. C is the Real Book Key for Take the A train

3. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    To transpose on paper:

The Ab major has a key signature with four accidents: Bb, Eb, Ab and Db. C major has no accidents.

So now with the C major key signature (no accidents) transpose all notes to one "sapace" above or one "line" above. This way you easily find all the major thirds.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Unfortunately,this technique doesn't teach you how to transpose, only a shortcut for this particular key

Mike

5. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal

Like you said is just a shortcut to make transposition on paper. :)

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

I should say, that I think shortcuts are great - but only if you first understand the pricipal behind the shortcut. Unfortunatel, too many players want the shortcut and not the depth of understanding to become better musicians. Therefore, I tend to err on that side

Mike