Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trapped finger in car door...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Betyouaint, Feb 14, 2004.

1. About 10 days ago after a heavy drinking session I managed to shut the car door on my left index finger causing severe pain and disfigurement. The comedy cartoon swelling has almost gone but the tenderness remains in a small concentrated bruised spot which just happens to be where my finger presses the strings of my bass. Luckily, I've adapted quickly using just my other three fingers for most of my regular set but some riffs are almost impossible with a missing finger. If I do try, I end up using the sore finger causing extreme sickening agony and many 4 letter words. To make matters worse I'm auditioning for a new band on Monday... :meh:

Oh well, it could be worse... I could be a one-armed drummer :D

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    This happenned to me about 5 years ago, just through carelessness...actually lost a piece of the finger. Couldn't play anything for almost a month, ticked me right off! I feel your pain, brother!

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I sliced up the thumb on my left hand one time and nicked the tendon. It really hurt and made it hard to play bass. I had to audition for a band then, too. I actually didn't make it because they always practiced when I worked. That sucked, becuase they were a really popular band that I liked.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    There was a one armed drummer.. i forgot who it was. Some metal ish band i think.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm, The drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm, The drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm, The drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm....

So why's everybody always pickin on me?
    Cause my 15 year old cousin's got less acne...

Name that band!!!

6. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    The drummer of Brothers From Another has no feet... lost them to electocution.
    [​IMG]

7. thathatman

thathatman

Sep 17, 2002
    La Mirada, CA
    About 6 years ago, I got about 3/4" of my left-hand ring finger cut off. It was sewed back on and still has most of its range of motion. This was before I played bass, and I found that one finger to be the biggest pickle! It no longer has any fat pad on top, just a scarred, misshapen mess. The strings aren't gently cushioned by the finger and they tend to slide around a bit. It hurts sometimes but not enough to bother me.

Moral of the story: keep your poor fingers away from the hinges of all doors. It won't stop you from playing bass for long, but it will be a hassle.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Moved to OT

9. there was this kid in my school who treid to fix their bike chain while he was still riding it.

we called him q-tip hands for months

10. Wow, talk about a lot of "ouch" in one thread... Makes the memory of the engine block dropped on my wrist seem less painful. Sympathy to all, and be careful out there...

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Bloodhound Gang!

The singer writes some amusing lyrics. (if you like that kind of humor that is).

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    One time the day before a show, our drummer broke her wrist. We ended up duct-taping a drumstick to her cast. It was amusing, but the show sucked.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Someone give this man a bongo!!! Give me one, for that matter! :D :ninja:

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Where´s my bongobongobongobongobongo? :hyper:

To get this thread back on track, I have fortunately been lucky enough to escape major injuries to my fingers since I picked upp the bass. I got a burn once from an oven pan, but wrapping some aloe vera around it took care of that!

15. I'm pretty sure the white stripes drummer only has one arm too.

Btw, guys that really sucks about your injuries. :(

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    No, the white stripes drummer has 2 arms. She is just a minimalist.

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    OUCHIE!

I broke off my Right thumb nail in the door of a VW thing when I was like 10...it's totally fine now, but damn, that hurt, just thinking of it makes me ick

19. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Betyouaint, or anyone else for that matter, could you help me? I dropped a weight at the gym on my little finger and have a gig in 3 days - not massively knackered, but it's just where I push to fret and hurts when I do that - luckily it's only my little finger, but a lot of lines are gonna be impossible - I'm hoping it'll be significantly less painful in 3 days, but any ideas on how to speed up the healing process?

20. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    About four years ago, I had a saw kick back across my left hand. For a second I thought everything was alright. Then I looked again, and I had cut the callus tips off of three of my fingers, and shattered my thumbnail. One of the teeth caught the thumbnail, and dug to the bone. I could not play for a couple of weeks.

As for smashing fingers, it happens to me all the time at work. Just give it a couple of weeks, and you will heal right up.