Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trapshooters sound off...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon223, May 17, 2004.

1. i'm not expectin many replies here but its worth a shot.(haha)
    Also, how do you say pull.
    I got in a shootoff saturday and the guy i was shooting against had the goofiest sounding call. I laughed and dropped an easy left cause of him. Dagnabbit, that cost me a HOA trophy.
    Luckily there wasnt a purse. I woulda been ticked off if there was money involved.
    I shot at the Grand last year too. yippee.
    So neway.
    Just wondrin who else is a trapshooter.

ta-ta for now.

2. I haven't shot trap in several years...but if I remember correctly, the way I said pull was somewhere along the lines of "HOY!" It's really not having to say pull...just as long as you get the scorekeeper's attention and (s)he knows to push the button.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've done a little trap and skeet, but not much. I do want to try sporting clays again!

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've also just done a bit. I like to do any kind of shooting though as many of you already know. :) I've shot at ducks, turkeys and hogs a lot more than I've shot at clays though.

brad cook

5. I like to do the "5-stand sporting clay" whenever I can.

6. I haven't shot for a very long time. Back in the 60's, my uncle taught me. He would throw out a pigeon (clay), I would take aim and fire without any notice or saying "pull". I would do this with holding the gun in a vertical position, not already taking aim in anticipation of the shot (preparation for hunting). I became very good at making an accurate shot from an "at rest" position. The downside of all this is that I suffer from tinnitus and hearing loss in the range of the human voice (I hear highs and lows very well), making it difficult to verbally communicate. Sometimes it is like people are speaking a foreign language to me. Audiologists have told me they believe the loss probably is caused by those many days (years actually) of shooting. We didn't wear hearing protection back then.

7. yeah, i got a pair of custom earplugs made at the grand last year, and i've got a backup pair in my case, so im ok as far as the hearing loss.
    I hate to even shoot a .22 w/o ear protection.
    Sporting Clays is pretty fun, but we dont have many clubs around here that dont cost an arm and a leg.
    I shoot skeet a whole lot too but i'm a lot better at trap. My ATA average is somewhere around 92. But im trying to recover from my early days of bad scores.
    In skeet i average about 22-23 of 25.

hehe... about the calls. That guy in our shootoff said something like "yoewelllllllll", and it was just really funny sounding.
    Im thinking about sayin "TimMAH" (south park timmy style) when i get in shootoffs, in order to distract and intimidate my opponent... lol

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    this is one of the first times on tb where i have not understood a single word said in an entire thread.

:meh:

9. ...haha.

10. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    do not mock me :(

11. hrrrm.

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My Dad owned a trap club back in the 70's, so I did a fair amount of shooting. I also used to do the Inland Waters shoots, as well as the New York State shoot. Never went to the Grand, though.

Havent shot in years, but still have my trusty Remington 1100.

13. GASP!!
    never gone to the grand!
    Im glad i got to see it before they started packin it up. Its a really awesome place. More gun vendors and shooting stores than i've ever seen in one place. And its probly the best place to go get a new target shotgun, everybody's got really good deals and on the grounds specials.
    Its too bad the Dayton airports takin back over. I wish they knew what a tradition they were wrecking.

Oh well. The World Shooting Complex in Sparta looks pretty amazing. Can't wait to go there in 06.

1100's are pretty nice guns. I'm a lefty so my target gun options are pretty limited.
    Right now im shooting a franchi alcione SL left hand and i will be shooting a BT-99 as soon as i get a job...lol.
    Im wearing that Franchi out pretty quick. Shooting 200 targets a week puts alot of wear into a shotgun.

14. I went trap shooting once.

And it's safe to say, no one is in any danger if I get a shotgun :D :crying:

15. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

I'm also a lefty (although I play Bass righty) so my 1100 cost a little more, since the shell eject needs to be on the other side of the gun. I've also shot a 3200, an 870 pump, and the "replacement" for the 1100, the 1187. After all that, I'll stick to the 1100.

I forgot to add in my original post that I just say "pull" to call out the target. It's pretty interesting to hear the different calls that people use. One year at the State shoot, my Dad and I were on a squad where we both used "pull" as our calls, while the woman next to me yelled "HAAAAAA", the next guy over yelled "YUP" (in the most feminine way you can imagine), and the last guy yelled "NOWWWWW".

Most people at our regular club just say "Pull".

16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've never done any formal shooting, but me and some friends used to go out and break clay just for fun. We'd get a case or two of clay pigeons and go way out in the woods to a place where we could shoot out over a clear cut from a landing, we didn't have any fancy launcher doo-dads so we used those cheap hand throwers. They actually work pretty good - we'd get two guys throwing clay and one shooting so that we could do doubles. This reminds me - my clay pigeon thrower and a case of the clays is the one thing I left behind at my last place (time to call up my old roommate)

Question - what is the difference between: shooting clay pigeons, shooting skeet, trap shooting, sporting clays - I thought it was all the same thing but HD's post makes it sound like there is a difference - what's the deal?
    (edit - I just re-read HD's post and maybe it doesn't sound like he's implying there is a difference. It's all the same thing, right?)

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If I were to buy a gun just for trap-shooting it would probably be something fancy but for an all-around shotgun it's hard to beat an 870. They're the workhorse of shotguns and have a rep for toughness and reliability. I've used mine to hunt ducks, turkey, dove and hogs through mud, cold and rain and the thing just never hiccups. It's not a fine-tuned trap-shootin' shottie but it's a great gun. :)

brad cook

18. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Trap and Skeet both use clay pigeons. In trap, there are five positions to stand (you get five shots from each), each is 16 yards from the house the clays get ejected from. The clays eject away from you, and can go straight out from the house, or towards the left or right away from the house. Theres a certain range the clays will fly in, however you dont really know exactly where it will be until it comes out of the house.

In Skeet, there are two houses the clays come from, a high house and a low house. There are seven (or eight? It's been 20 years) positions to shoot from. Depending which position you're in, the clays can fly towards you, away from you, or can fly past you. When its time to shoot, you first get a low (or high? Again, its been 20 years) clay, then the other clay, then both at the same time. You will know wwhere the clay will be at each position (unlike trap where you dont know), but it doesnt mean that skeet is any easier than trap is.

I'm really not sure about sporting clays, I've never tried that game.

19. Skeetshooting is the original thing that gave me tinnitus. WARNING: Wear freakin earplugs! Oiii!