Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trave Elliot Hexa Valve vs. Trace Elliot V6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jan 14, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    how do both of these amp compare? I'm looking at getting either of the two...

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    any help here?? Psycho.......

3. I have a Trace V6 that I really like alot! I've never heard the Hexavalve, but it looks like it has a lot of solid state stages in the preamp. The EQ section of the V6 is a bit vague, but the sound of the amp is wonderful! I like it much better than my SWR SM-400 these days, except for studio sessions. (The SWR direct out is great in the studio.) If you want specific info about the controls on the V6, I used a pink noise generator and spectrum analyser to figure out what all the controls are doing. Email me offlist (wes_heilman@hotmail.com) if you want specifics from the test, and I'll dig up my notes. Note that the Bass and Treble switches are off when in the "up" position which is backwards to us Americans. The preamp design is, like the Alembic F1X, based on the Fender Showman preamp section from the 1960's. The Alembic site has some helpful information about the EQ section.
    -Wes

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    thanks for the info...the hexa says it has a tube pre-amp, and tube power amp.....

5. I am also wondering about the differences between the V6 and Hexa Valve and couldn't find anything on a search except for this ancient thread. Can someone enlighten me?

6. i think the main difference is that the '-valve series incorporates the series 6 preamp (solidstate) with a meaty power section; where as the V-series has the v-type pre amp (all valve).

the v-type is parametric, and the vale series are graphic.

hope that helps a wee bit... do a search for the TE mega thread!

7. The V-Type doens't have a parametric EQ. It's just a three band, passive EQ. Bass/Mid/Treble knobs, that's it. The 'weird' thing with the three bands is that the flat-positions aren't at 12 o'clock. Flat on these V-series is Bass at 0, Middle at 10, Treble at 0. This means you can only cut mids and boost bass and treble.

I use my V8 at the flat position almost exclusively. I sometimes boost the bass, but never cut mids or boost the treble.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a V8 and a Hexa Valve (as well as a VA400, Quatra Valve and a Twin Valve Combo), but I have never played a V6. But, my feel for the V's versus the Valves is that the V's get a more crisp clean tone and offer a wide range of overdriven tones. The Valve series really does not do an extreme preamp tube overdrive, and while you can push them hard enough for some power tube overdrive, it's never the buzzsaw type, but more of an organic growl. Their clean tone is a tad more full and more focused in the midrange (relative to the V8, at least), but still very, very articulate. I'd say it's in the same general ballpark as the clean tone from a Mesa Boogie Bass 400/400+, but with a bit more clarity/articulation.

The preamp section on the Valve series does use a tube, but the EQ is solid state (versus tube on the V8 - not sure about V6, which uses a different preamp with less tubes than the V8). I generally play with the EQ bypassed on my Valve series amps, but even with it engaged, it still sounds like an "all-tube" head to me, so I wouldn't worry too much about the solid state components of either head.

Both are very good amps, IMHO. It probably comes down to whether or not you want a more extreme overdriven tone, whether or not you like lots/little mids, and whether or not you prefer simple knob turning to more detailed tone sculpting via little sliders (though again, I play all of my Trace tube amps with the EQ basically "off").

Hope this helps, Tom.

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I agree. :D I did fix one thing in there though!

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Much obligued! Thanks for settin' me straight. And I do recall that they make use of all four tube gain stages.

Tom.

11. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    I seem to remember flat being Bass 2, Mids 10, and Treble 2, similar to the Alembic. Some guy did a spectrum analysis of it on HC reviews.