Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trave Elliot V8 Vs Sunn 300T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Jun 1, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wow, hate to make another one of these threads :p

Just wondering what the main sound difference between these two amps would be? Also, which has the better compressor and distortion channel (Or if not better, whats the difference). Volume wise, I presume the V8 is louder?
    Which would be able to get the most hi-fi out of the two? And which would be better at cutting through in a band setting and which would have more punch..

Cheers.

2. I remember someone (Ivanmike was it?) has already done quite a comprehensive tube head comprison test - do a search, both those amps were in the review...

If I remember, he prefered the V8 (or it might have been the V6)

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Got any links to it, or something to aid me in my search. I've allready looked through about 300 threads and havn't found anything.

Cheers!

4. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    The Trace is a better unit, but it all comes down to those intangible elements that really matter - what do you make of it, what is your sound, what music do you want to play, what do you want to hear, what sound are your fingers making???
    One thing that the best British equipment will give you is the chance to either fall on your face, or succeed with great tone. It's up to you... punch won't be a problem with the Trace, and hi-fi is there if you want it.
    GODSPEED!!!

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Haha, good man.

Yeah, I'm after growl and a nice bite that will cut through in a band setting. Unfortunantly I can't play the Trace before I buy it, if I do..

Also, which would be the better amp in the studio?

6. I have a V8 and the least you can say it's got punch. In my opinion it isn't too hifi sounding. But perhaps I turn the gain up too far. :) The Trace sounds very tubey, almost Ampeg like (I had an Ampeg). It's very loud also. The tube compressor is very nice as well. Good compression. The 2nd distortion channel is there if you like it, overdrive/distortion goodness all the way.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, that sounds good. I don't want really hi-fi sounding, just enough to sort of cut through with a nice top end, if you know what I mean.

8. You can't be serious. The Sunn 300T is a piece of tonal crap. ( I had one; I can say that.) The V8 is killer bass amp designed by people who had more in mind than capitalizing on a defunct company's reputation. There is NO contest.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Well then, can you expand on that? :p

I've heard many people who are VERY happy with their Sunn. So why exactly would you choose the Trace over it? Also, what's the tonal differences?

Thanks.

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    ha ha...Never owned either, but I'm partial to Trace Elliot gear. I wouldn't say their amps are the most hi-fi sounding...but they definitely have a warm, clean, organic tone with lots of balls. I would go for the V8 any day over any other tube amp. IMO the V8 is the holy grail of bass tube amps. :D

But from what I understand, the pre-fender sunns are very good amps.

11. Indeed, not hifi but very warm and organic. Clean depends on the amount of gain you use of course. It can sound very ballsy and wooly as well depending on the eq settings.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I concur. I've tried a number of tube heads, and the V8 is most definitely the top of the heap for me. The Eden VT-300A shares some of the same tonal flexibility of the V8, but does not pack the heft, whallop, girth, and 3D texture of the big Trace. My DB 359 probably has a better clean, airy, hi-fi tone than the V8, but is far less than half as loud, and does not do grit/grind/growl the way the V8 can. I've borrowed a vintage SVT for a while, and so far, I have yet to 100% capture the best (slightly overdriven) SVT sound with the V8, but it does yield sounds reminiscent of the SVT, but it is much more flexible, tonally, and it sounds great at any volume (which is something that I have not found to be the case with the SVT).

The compressor on the V8 is darn good, and one of the best I have used. Build quality is out of the ballpark, too.

As for the Sunn, I have not played a pre-Fender unit, but I have played the Fender version (in store only). It was a fairly pleasant experience, and I had no major gripes, but it made me think more of the things that I don't like about tube amps (slightly obese, and blurry low end) than the things that I am finding that I like about some of the tube amps in my collection (articulation, sweet mids/highs, complex tone, surprisingly tight lows). I wouldn't say it was bad, but just about what I had expected (and it didn't make me want to run out and switch to tubes). But, when I heard my Trace Twin Valve Combo, a whole new world of possibilities opened up... ;)

13. While there's no accounting for taste, I found the 300T as a whole to be lifeless and artificial. The graphic EQ was very noisy. The compressor was useless and the amp had two tones: mud and icepick. I might also mention that mine was the first example of the amp I found that even worked AT ALL. I had two blow up on me doing low volume in-store demos, and another constantly hummed. I went out of my way to be MORE than fair to it, since my negative comments towards it were a HUGE deal here a few years ago. I had one; it sucked; I got rid of it. I have a REAL Sunn now, a 2000S.

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I almost got a 2000s.... I cry everytime I think about it. :bawl:

I'm happy with my Sceptre though. :D

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Thanks for the info guys... I could be owning a V8 tomorow..
    Anyone experimented with tubes in these guys? Do they only take KT88's, or are some people using 6550's in them?

Cheers.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Great news! Is this the same one that made the rounds on ebay Down Under?

As for tubes, you can run either. My V8 came equipped from the factory (to British Audio Service, and then to me) with Ruby Tesla KT88's. But as I think VTypeV4 has used Tung Sol 6550 (reissues) in his V4, these might work well in the V8. I have six of them in my Eden VT-300A, and they seem to do a fine job.

If you do pick it up, PM me your e-mail address. I have a little "V8 support group" made up of all known TalkBass V8 owners. This group has proven to be very valuable, to me at least!

Tom.

17. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...me too Tom! How have you been making out with any tube swaps/auditions lately in your V-8?

~S~

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have a rather large NOS preamp tube order coming in, and I hope to have some fun after they all get here! :hyper:

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Tom, is indeed that one. It's had a little interest.. No bids though. I'm hoping I can snag it. Have you seen it on there much? I know it's not the one that was on there a month or two ago, as I know who got that one..

The only thing that's putting me off is I couldn't get a visit organised before I bidded (I asked, but he said he was busy, fair enough) and the picture of the one on there is actually off harmony central. He's said it's in great shape though, and that it was re-tubed less than two years ago and been used about 2 hours a week.

I think it's worth a shot.. He good feed back, and i'll be picking it up AND paying in person, so if it's wrecked or anything, I can bring up my concern with Ebay.

If not, I can pick up a Sunn 300T in great condition, re-tubed about 2 weeks ago, the guy loves the thing and doesn't really want to give it away (He told me about the Trace, hopefully not too many people know! :p) and he'll sell it for $2400 couriered to me in a case.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Now listen to me very carefully here, my friend...

Get

the

V8!!!!

;)

Seriously, this is a collectable-worthy item, and if it is in functional condition, it's worth investing in, IMHO.

Later, Tom.