Travel bass for practice, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Howdy. I'm going to be doing some extensive traveling for business this coming year. I just found out, too bad I sold my Skyline last week!!

I figure this would be a good opportinity to start practicing again. What would you suggest in the way of a decent inexpensive 5 string bass for this purpose? Any tips on airline travel? Soft case or hard case? I've got the headphones, CD-BT1, and laptop already.

2. I can't recommend a 5er for you but I can tell you that I take one bass in a gig bag as carry on luggage and have never had a problem. YMMV
  3. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Thanks! This helps very much.
  4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass has those Steinberger Spirit 5's that would be perfect for travel. I've got one of their guitars, and find it to be excellent quality for the money, which is generally between $289~$349.
  5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
  6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I've used a Steinberger Spirit 5 for 5+ years, over 50 trips (including Europe & Southeast Asia) and it worked just fine. However, I got tired of using a substandard (to me) bass. I recently started using a Zon Sonus 5/1 instead, which is a much higher quality bass. I bought the SKB hardshell case with wheels that fits a bass/gigbag inside and check it with my luggage, and am much happier spending time in hotel rooms.

I usually put the Spirit in overheads without problem, on smaller aircraft I had to check it at the gate. I've also checked the Zon at the gate, and IMO, the instruments are treated more kindly by luggage handlers there than by those when checking at the counter.

When checking at the counter, sometimes the SKB is delivered in a different spot (with skis, golf clubs, etc.) which may take a few minutes longer.
  7. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Good thoughts. Yeah, I'm not interested in going with an utter junk bass. If it wasn't pleasant to play, I'd probably find something else to do. Right now I'm thinking that I will attempt to carry it on, whatever I get. I'm leaning toward an MTD kingston 5 or something similar. I was thinking about a musicman, but that might be a little more money than I want to risk.
  8. pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002