Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Travel Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bdengler, Jan 14, 2001.

1. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Does anyone make a "travel bass", similar in concept to Martin's backpack guitars? (I'm not asking for a semi-hollow bass, just a bass that's smaller to travel with on business trips.) Thanks, Brian

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I can remember seeing one awile back on ebay. I was trying to get it, but it was sniped from me. I think it was called the Travel Bass, but I'm pretty sure they are no longer made. The Ashbury is small and portable. The Steinberger Spirit might be something to consider also.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    DeArmond Ashbory or KYDD and some kinda' headphone amp?
    Ummm...that is, if you're lookin' for an upright tone :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

[Edited by notduane on 01-14-2001 at 09:51 AM]

4. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Boy, I didn't know they still made the Ashbury! Where can you get them?

I thought it had a Guild label for a while. Yes, a small bass, snap in a headphone kinda think in what I need. The KYDD scares me a little because I don't know how portable it is with that tripod thing. I do play an upright but I'm trying to get back into learning some bass guitar chops since my music director at church prefers the bass guitar rather than my upright.

Thanks for your post (and the pixes!) Regards, Brian

[Edited by DenglerABD on 01-14-2001 at 10:48 AM]

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You are correct, sir! :D It's now sold under the DeArmond line.
    Like Guild, DeArmond was gobbled-up by Fender. But the same two fellers
    that designed it for Guild were brought back when DeArmond re-introduced `em.
    http://www.fender.com
    I think the tripod's leg will fold-in (telescope). But I guess the whole
    rig bagged-up would look like you're totin' a high-powered rifle.
    Not so cool through airport security.
    http://www.kyddbass.com/

[Edited by notduane on 01-14-2001 at 10:56 AM]

6. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Thanks for the quick reply! Where can you get the Ashbury's?

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Musician Friend carries the Ashbory.

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Bass Northwest has one...http://bassnw.com/New Standard Basses/de_armond_ashbory_blue.htm

Yup! M/F sells `em for the same price as BNW. Besides Blue, they have Black and Red in stock.
    They also have those wacky silicone strings in stock (~$15/set)...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/search/home/010112195752012106208029339347?q=t&csel=0&FIND=ashbory

You could go to http://www.gbase.com and enter DeArmond for Make and
    Ashbory for Model to see other vendors.

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  10. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Thanks everyone for getting back to me so quickly. Regards, Brian

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Depending on the headphones you use, you might be able to do as i do with just pluggin the headphones directly into the bass [ashbory]. Thats all

12. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fernandes makes some with the amp built into the bass or guitar itself.

13. The Ashbory is fine for an upright vibe, but very limited for anything else. I recommend looking at a Steinberger, or if that's too expensive, a Korean Steinberger copy. Two that spring to mind are Cort, and Hohner, both of which are headless and vitually bodyless, like the Steinberger.

14. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I can personally attest to the fact that Steinbergers are great travel axes...they are durable, they fit in overhead bins on planes, etc. Be careful with the Ashborys if durability is needed...they're a bit less robust than the 'Bergers.

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually the musicyo/Gibson Steinbergers aren't that expensive at all (in the under $300 range), but of course they're not the wonderful composite one-bass wrecking crews of yore ;). They're a good choice, when it comes time for me to get a carry it with me bass, I'm getting the 5 string with "virtual bodyless" body. If something bad happens to it, I'm not out a fortune.

16. does anyone know if the ashbory can house regular strings instead of the rubber strings that come with it??

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Nope, scale length is only 18".

18. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I would highly recommend a Steinberger Spirit. I have a fretless 5-string that I bought mainly for practice, but I actually like it much more than I expected. The pickups are a little weak and I had to build a little metal extension to change the balance, but I really like mine. It is about as small as you can get for a 34' scale bass.

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Here's another vote for the Steinberger Spirit. I've had mine 3+ years and it's been to Europe, Saudi Arabia and all over the USA with me. It is the only "low-end" bass I have, but it is surprisingly good to play with nice tones.

20. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Ashbory's are real interesting. Can be made to sound as a double bass, or pretty metallic (considering the rubber strings). And the size is just extremely perfect for business travel.
    If you need 34" scale, you go for Steinberger. Graphite if you can afford it (*perfect* build for travelling), otherwise wooden "spirit" axes.
    Or, if you have the money for a graphite Steinberger, but want something special, check out David King at http://www.teleport.com/~bgs/. Splendid wood basses, light, small, with custom scale and electronics.