Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Travel Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassopotumus, Mar 23, 2004.

1. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    Recently I have been looking for a "Travel" Bass (Don't worry I looked in the Newbie Links first). I have looked at David Gage's "Czech Ease" bass, which looks really cool, and the NS and Yamaha Silent Bass...First of all, is there any other bass I should consider? Well, out of the three basses I have mentioned here, which one would be the best sounding, best "feeling" (as in a "real" DB feel), and best looking (in your own opinion of course)? Any replies are welcome. Thanks in advance.

-Bassopotumus

2. I've not played Gage's bass, but just by looking at it, you've got to say that it would sound and feel more like a "real" bass than either of the popsicles you mentioned. I've played both the NS and the Yamaha, and they just felt dead in my hands.

Another option you may have overlooked is the Eminence bass. It's not quite as formidible as the Czech-Ease, but it has an actual sound chamber and is built on realbass principles. I've played it and thought it felt and sounded better than any other I've tried (at least, it sounded more like an amplified double bass than the others).

3. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    Well thanks alot, do you know where I can try out the eminence bass?

4. Concord Group out of Chicago distributes them. E-mail them; they might be able to give you the name of a dealer in your area.

Otherwise, our own (all hail) Bob Gollihur sells them at his web site.

Good luck!

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Give me a dollar and I'll go play a Czech ease and give you my report.

6. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    I played a Czech Ease the other day and I was really surprised at how much sound it produced acoustically. To me, it was about 3/4 to 5/8 of the sound you would get from a full-bodied bass. Plus, it fits in a taxi. I have played the Eminence too-to me you can get nearly the same sound you get from a full-bodied with a pickup. it has a soundpost, soundchamber, bassbar etc... I really liked it alot.

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You shoulda held out for the dollar.

8. I just saw an ad for the Czech-Ease featuring Michael Moore in Bass Player (hey, I thumbed it, didn't buy it). Wonder if Moore is using this as his roadbass now?

Y'know, I'm sure that its a bass great and all, but it looks a little creepy to me for some reason. Kinda like a JPG that hasn't finished downloading.