Travel Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I've always wondered if there is a 'perfect' travel bass out there. I'd love something that I could fit in a garment bag (so I wouldn't have a hassle with having to check it), something with standard nickel/steel strings (I like my silicone in a different form), built-in headphone amp (optional), playable (but doesn't have to be perfect).

I know about the Steinberger Spirits (too long), I know about the Ashbory's (would these take nickel strings?). Does anyone have any practical experience with 'travel' basses?

I did a search but couldn't find any "Travel Bass" topics.
  2. Before they closed down, Fat Daddy's used to carry the Aria Sinsonido 690-B for awhile. I sat down with one and found it to be very very cool. Comfortable and very nifty tone.

I believe it's a full 34 inch scale, which may not suit your needs, but it has everything else you'd be looking for. And I think you can still pick them up at Music123.

Check it out, it might be something you dig.
  3. audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    what about the short scale Essex
    I have the J bass version - it's fun
    smaller body 30" scale and you can mod or leave alone

for the amp end
    tascam bass trainer mk ii
    it's a headphone amp and so much more
    speeds and slows down tempo without changing pitch
    you can play along to cds etc
  4. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    What's the overall length on the Essex? Do you have a link? I do have the Tascam unit. I actually like the Bass version of the Pocket Rocket.
  5. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I had one and loved it. A little expensive for my purposes.
  6. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I got a Steinburger from Musicyo and thought it was a great travel bass.
  7. Ever considered a Fernandes Nomad? It's a small neck (not sure about the scale length) and a built in, battery powered, speaker. And, if I recall correctly, they're quite inexpensive. Here's a picture:
  8. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Aria Sinsonido...inexpensive, plays well, sounds very good... I've used my fretted at small coffeehouse gigs (Brazilian music) and it worked great... 34" scale and breaks down to a very manageable size. Highly recommended.
  9. [​IMG]

I'd love something that I could fit in a garment bag...

Something with standard nickel/steel strings...

We offer many different gauges of rubber bands...

Built-in headphone amp

No need, it's acoustic.

Nothing better!
  10. :D
  11. audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    essex short scale

they currently only have the p bass short scale

j will be reintroduced in the fall

dimensions similiar
    30" scale 42" long
    like a 3/4 size - fun to play
    easy on the stretching

12. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    If a Steinberger is too long, then you might want to try to find an old Kramer Duke. It was a short (or medium, don't remember) scale Steinberger copy from the early 80s. Aluminum neck. I owned one. It takes standard strings, run backwards to regular tuners mounted on the tail of the bass.

It's not possible to get any shorter than a headless instrument for obvious reasons.

A Steinberger will fit into an overhead luggage compartment, I do believe. Get a used's good enough to be a main bass, not just an oddity.
  13. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    how about this thing:
    Bass Player gave it a favourable review, I seem to remember.
    30 inch scale length, don't know overall length.
  14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Check The most compact bass I know of.
  15. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
  16. I've seen these before on the net...quite interesting...I've never seen one up close and personal, but I have seen a traveller guitar in a music shoppe in Parramatta once.
    Quite and interesting concept...I believe these 34" basses are 36" long overall...

couple this with a Tascam Bass Trainer and