Travel Headphones - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by uglycicles, Dec 28, 2005.

1. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Looks as though I'll be doing a lot more travelling for my job in 2006, and I'm thinking of getting something a little nicer than the standard earbuds that come stock with the iPod.

The Bose QC Noisecancelling look interesting, if only for the fact that they claim to reduce outside noise. But they seem large (even though they fold-up for storage) and rather pricey.

Ultimately I'd like something that doesn't take up a lot of room in my carry-on bag and reduces outside noise, but aren't so huge that I look like I should be sitting in the cockpit with the pilot. :D Not sure if I should be looking at enclosed or earbuds. :help:

I will really only be using these on the plane/in the airport - not at home, working out, etc.

Frequent fliers - what do you use? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
  2. If you want you can buy noise cancelling in ear headphones. They are the same as the big studio phones, but are just buds made with squishy rubber that forms to the inside of your ear like earplugs.
  3. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Those Bose headphones are really amazing. I've used them without music just to get some peace and quiet.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I just got the Shure E2's for Christmas, and I reccomend them to ANYBODY. They're sub-$100, small and comfortable, and have not fallen out on me once. Mind you i've TRIED to make them fall out (running, jumping, etc) and they still haven't budged. :cool: They seem to cancel just about everything outside my ears too.
  5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Good to know, I was checking those out myself...but you can only tell so much online.

I'm looking for good workout headphones though. Sounds like the Shures might be the way to go.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The Etymotics earbuds get a lot of great reviews.

brad cook

7. +1
    I got these a little bit ago. They ARE awsome. I'm sure there are better, but for $99 you can't beat em'. They come with a small carrying case and like 6 different pairs of earbud attachments in different sizes to accomodate almost everyone.
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ditto on the E2s. Relatively cheap, tiny, durable, and they block out a lot of ambient noise without any fancy-schmancy noise-cancelling circuitry. Because of their noise cancelling abilities and relatively high efficiency, they also preserve battery power - important for ipod users.

They do have a bit of a comfort/learning curve, though, so don't send them back right away. Expect to endure them for a week or two of before you actually start to like them.
  9. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Cool - thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've got a couple to check out.
  10. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I have the Etymotic ER-4P and they're the best headphones I've ever used. They're more expensive than the Shures, but Etymotic makes a lower price version (ER-6i) that's supposed to be very close in performance to the ER-4P and can be found for a little over $100. I prefer the in-ear noise cancelling phones to the over-the-ear type like the Bose because they're a lot smaller and more comfortable IMO. Anything you get will be miles better than the stock earbuds that come with the iPod.
  11. Shure E3's (about $175) seem to be the best 'bang for the buck'. Amazing sound, great sound cancelling ability, wonderful bass response, comfortable.
  12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004

I've had a bit more trouble with them, maybe my ears have a weird shape? :eyebrow: The sound quality is amazing tho.

Makes me completely anti-social however. I've had some girls throw some stuff at me to catch my attention, and failed. No joke.
  13. DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i've seen quite a few people with the Bose ones.......however i have not tried them....

not a frequent flyer.........just an airline employee :D
  14. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Question? and partial thread hijack (sorry):

Do the Shures or Etymotic fit snuggly into the ear without falling out? I've never like ear buds because they always fall out of my left ear, especially when i'm jogging. My right ear never had any problems though...maybe I just have a deformed left ear. :confused:

Also, any recomendations on great sounding, compact over-the-ear headphones?
  15. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR

Don't do it! Seriously... I dont know if I'd consider myself an audiophile yet.. lets just say amateur audiophile... but I really don't like Bose, and neither does anyone in the headphone community. I used to 2 pairs of Sennheisers (HD-270, HD-590) and they were really pretty good, but neither of them were so great for outdoor use. After that I had E2's, and they were really quite fantastic. I broke them (I break all my headphones... I need to find indestructible headphones) and I think I'm getting E3c's for my birthday and I can't wait. Go with the E2's, but if you can spring for it on eBay or something, go for the E3c's. Ill probably post a short review once I get them. I say go for the E3's because I assume that as a bass player you'll want a little more bass in your headphones, and E2's dont quite deliver as much as I wanted them to. I hear the E3's have some pretty nice bass response.
  16. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    My Etymotics fit great and they stay in when I work out. They come with three different kinds of tips so you can try them and use the ones that fit best for you. I like the flanged silicone tips. You may find that one kind of tip works better in your left ear and another kind in your right. Ear buds like the stock iPod phones always fall out of my ears.